Sign in to follow this  
Guest jettjokk

Real vs. sim flight

Guest jettjokk

I do not have enough experience to know this one. If operating say a 737NG in any one of the various auto flight modes, due to ambient baro pressure changes and/or wind speed or direction changes, the aircraft will continuously do it's best to stay on path. Doing this may require many yoke, pedal, or trim changes. So in real life, as the aircraft changes pitch. roll, or yaw to correct for these ambient changes, does the yoke actually move about as quickly as in the PDMG 737? Do rlf pilots have to watch out for getting injured by the yoke as it is moving about?I'm thinking that the extremely active yoke (only weather is static download of real weather-even leaving out winds aloft) is a big frame rate hitter. Especially if it is in excess of real life.I've even noticed the nosewheel tiller jerking back and forth while taxiing-the tiller does not move in step with steering inputs-it just sits there mindlessly flicking back and forth anytime I am taxiing.Now I know I can spend more money on hardware but I also believe in getting the most out of what I have. The only real frame rate issues remaining using the PMDG 737's is the last 20-30 miles of a flight. If I'm using ATC and getting vectors, I can drastically help the fps issue by limiting bank angle during heading changes. Same for limiting descent fpm to 2000. Less stuttering. I did see a post here from someone who "lost" their yoke in vc mode and which PMDG switch to turn it back on. How about a way to make it not move so much?Dan Stalter

Guest Hawkeyeted

Dan,Yes the yolk actually moves in real life 737, but not as much. You're looking at the limitations of FS9 and VC animations.As for your FPS issues, a couple of things come to mind. Go to the file library and download the reduced textures. The dafult ones (especially the clouds) have rediculuous sizes (some up to 1.5MB insize). Install the reduced size textures, and you'll get much better performance.Also, you can try this: Set your FPS slider all the way right. Once you reenter FS, hit the Shift-Z until you can monitor the FPS. Take note of the LOWEST FPS you machine experiences. Then, go back and move your FPS slider to the left to that number, plus 10%. (i.e. if the lowest you see is 25 FPS, set the slider for like 22 or 21 FPS). This allows for the smoothest animations (not the fastest!) by governing the amount of processor time dedicated to loading textures.Try it out and let us know how it works.

Guest TrafficTraffic

The yolk only moves if the eggs are sunny-side up. Oh, you meant YOKE.;-)Sorry, I couldn't resist.Lee Hetherington, PP-ASEL (KBED)

Guest gremel

Ted,What parameters would you put into the search engine to come up with the default reduced textures / clouds that you are referring to??Regards,jack

Guest Hawkeyeted

Hey Lee....you're a real YOKER.....Thanks for setting me straight...And Jack,In the AVSIM library, look up "Clouds" in the 2004 scenery section.

Guest jettjokk

I have to apologize for taking so long to reply. I do appreciate the help. I started out with FS5 years ago, so chasing frame rates is now a full-time profession. I was also remiss in not including what equipment I'm running. Asus P4S800D-E mobo, WinXP Pro, 1Gb DDR 400, FS9 installed on a RAID 0 array, and what is likely my bottleneck - ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128Mb video card. So I have partaken of all reduced textures available, including the HiFPS clouds from FSW (they did help immensely). Also use FSAutoStart (excellent addition) and carefully went through the threads on PCI latency resulting in down adjusting the video card PCI latency from 255 to 64. I do not run any other PCI cards. Also I am trying to have it all: PMDG VC, add-on landclass, scenery, real weather. So I should not expect excellent frame rates in all conditions and I do not get them.Taxiing at a large payware add-on airport will always make stutters during sharp ground turns. I live with that. Looking out the window from the air at the same airport (say within 10 miles) also produces stutters. Again, I live with it.No the problem is basically on the ILS or any other approach path that is similar. Once the nose is pointed down and the screen fills with the approaching airport and surrounds, the stutters begin. With the 737 and autoland it works out, but hand flying the landing becomes difficult given frame rates that oscillate between 13 fps and 5 fps. This is why I don't move the slider to 10% less than the lowest number, that would be 4 frames per second. In fact I think the system performs best with the slider at "unlimited".There are many factors-one of the biggest is how many layers of clouds you are flying in. Another is what phase of flight-approach is actually not the worst. Sharp ground turns are. I don't leave the frame rate disply up much since it can be annoying and uses up some resources. I can tell when the stutters start without it.It is also a fact that since I added a key combo to turn off the yolk (couldn't resist), on say short final to Fly Tampa, I pick up 3 frames per second! Bouncing from 5 fps to 13 fps averages 9 fps plus 3 fps (from yolk being turned off) yields 12 fps which certainly appears smooth out my window.Once again thanks for the help.Dan Stalter