Sign in to follow this  
Guest ahmedem

What does the future hold?

Guest ahmedem

A discussion topic, add your thoughts and comments if you wish:Looking some months into the future it is clear there is much to look forward to from PMDG most markedly the 747.Whilst PMDG have understandably and quite correctly not given too many indications of a release date it would be safe to say we are talking months rather than weeks, and here lie my concerns. Months will take us rather close to the release of Flight Simulator 2006 (I guess Nov. of this year?). They could be released within two months of each other or maybe less. Whilst I wish the new FS will bring about many revolutions and improvements, I hope that current products (PMDG 737, new LDS 767 and most importantly the 747) will remain compatible, but as we saw with the release of FS9 this should not be taken as granted. I refer to the loss of PIC 767, PSS 747/777 (yes we

Guest Callmecapt

I have been in touch with another developer of payware add ons and there is no indication of an FS10 or it's beta...yet. Developers can get their hands on beta versions of the new Flight sims before it is released to the general public. If it is to be released, it won't be for a while yet. Microsoft usually release some screenshots of the next FS while it is in beta but I haven't come across any and they haven't issued a statement that it will be released this year.If I'm wrong, correct me, please.RegardsGoran

>So my question(s) to PMDG, and I suppose anybody else who>wishes to participate, is what thoughts and considerations>have you made with regard to compatibility with future>versions of FS if any. I don't think PMDG or any add-on dveloper has any clue about the FS10 (assuming it is even in the works) and what sort of impact it may have on existing FS products. They will probably deal with it when it arrives. As you probably noticed there are no guarantees in life - some products become eventually incompatible and that's the end of it.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Ahmed i agree with what you say, but unless there is a 'revolution' in FS2006 with regards to current FS2004 like ATC spacing of AC and more better graphics fs2004 will be good for another 18-24 mths, thats my opinion.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

And to add to this discussion, what developer has created a sim that works in two flight simulators? When the 737 was released it was in fact made to work in both 2002 and 2004 then 2002 developement ceased. The 744 will be out long before the next FS version, that much is pretty certain, what is not certain is the future of the 744 in the next sim release BUT if there is great demand I cannot see why PMDG would not provide this. If MS makes many changes like they did from 2002 to 2004, it could create a re-write of code and testing and even (this is highly guess work on my part) added cost. Perhaps there will be no need and one could simply re-install into the new sim format since but only time well tell..[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

The compatibility issue has a another dimension with respct to a 64 bit version of FS200n. Maybe there will be substantial improvements in performance to be had and they are recompiling it all. One wonders if any of the existing aircraft will run in 64 bit FS or will developers need to recompile all their aircraft to match.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Guest TrafficTraffic

I wouldn't hold my breath for 64-bit FS. Every gauge would need to be recompiled. Besides, 32-bit software should run fine inside 64-bit Windows.Lee Hetherington, PP-ASEL (KBED)

Guest Buck Bolduc

>I wouldn't hold my breath for 64-bit FS. Every gauge would>need to be recompiled. Besides, 32-bit software should run>fine inside 64-bit Windows.>>Lee Hetherington, PP-ASEL (KBED)Lee.I have the Win XP Pro 64 bit edition. FS9 definetly runs faster on it. I was pleased to see that. This 64 bit OS seems even more stable than Win XP 32 bit w/sp2. I recently installed an NVidia 6800 GT, after installing 64 bit (beta, I think) drivers it really speeded up. It loads as fast off of a ATA-100 40 gig drive as Win 32 does off of the Raptor drives.If MS decides to recompile to 64 bits then the developers may have a choice, at some point to go 64 bits. Lets face it, many more things will be posible with 64 bits. However, I agree, dont think it will happen for a year or two.I want 64 bits.I want SLI w/dual vid cards.I want a dual core proc.I want a RAID 5 system(Onboard).I want 4 maybe 8 gigs of memmory.And if I keep going I'll be able to buy a real AC with the money!Dream on mate's. it is a great community.Best

You have confirmed my feeling that 64 bit Windows with FS2004 32 bitdoes run faster although this was not neccesarily supported in a formal test I saw somewhere.Certainly the PMDG737, Active Sky etc work well together. I have not been able to build an exact comparison because I could not persuade the 32 bit ATI Catalyst control centre to work in exactly the same way with the 64 bit driver (although it does work).My point was how much faster still would a 64 bit version of FS be on the 64 bit platform.Apologies for driftng a little off topic.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Guest Buck Bolduc

>You have confirmed my feeling that 64 bit Windows with FS2004>32 bit>does run faster although this was not neccesarily supported in>a formal test I saw somewhere.>Certainly the PMDG737, Active Sky etc work well together. I>have not been able to build an exact comparison because I>could not persuade the 32 bit ATI Catalyst control centre to>work in exactly the same way with the 64 bit driver (although>it does work).>>My point was how much faster still would a 64 bit version of>FS be on the 64 bit platform.>>Apologies for driftng a little off topic.If and when?It depends on optimisation. Recompiling is one thing, optimisation is another.The developer community can be expected to come up anything posible under the MS FS base.Nothing new here.AMD as of late is getting a somewhat fairer shake wrt compllers.I dont want to start any wars here so I'll leave it at that.Best