Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliff

A question about the correct choice of STAR in the FMC ...

Guest cliff

FS Navigator can now create and export Flight Plans for use with the PMDG 737.After creating and exporting a Plan into the FMC we approach our destination and are given a runway by ATC.We select that runway in the FMC and then have the option of choosing a number of STAR's.My query is this: Can we assume that the first STAR on the list is the best one to use for that particular runway and course?Cliff

No, but you can assume that ANY listed is availible for that particular rwy..[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

Guest cliff

Randy the part that puzles me is how do we select the STAR best suited to that runway and also to our course?

Guest stang

Hi Cliff.The choice of what STAR to use depends on wind direction and where you are flying in from. The objective is to pick one that first, is authorized for the runway in use at the time and second is the best match to the course you are using. This requires that you have paper or on-screen drawings of all the STARs for your destination airport so you can look at them all in order to pick which one is best. For example, if the wind makes runway 09 the active runway then you can narrow down the choices by only looking at STARs that are authorized for runway 09. You will find that most STARs are runway independent though. The next thing is to find one that best connects to your inbound course. If you are coming in from the North then you pick a STAR whose waypoints best connect to your inbound course from the North. You certainly don't want a STAR whose waypoints lead in from the South in this case. Also, be aware that you can enter a STAR from any of it's transition waypoints. This means that you do not need to enter at a STAR's very first waypoint as it may take you out of the way. Whereas if you enter at the 2nd or 3rd waypoint it may provide for a shorter course. The key here is that you must be able to see the STAR charts in order to pick an appropriate STAR. If, however, you are flying on-line this all goes out the window because the controller will tell you what STAR to use or possibly vector you in without using a STAR.Hope this helps take some of the mystery out.RegardsTerry

Guest cliff

Thank you so much Terry. I completely understand now.Could you perhaps tell me where to find STAR charts for Europe? (which is where I do most of my Simulator flying)Cliff

Guest cliff

Thanks Terry.You're spot on with your remarks that the search is half the fun.I'm finding that perhaps more than half my Flight Sim time is spent learning, searching, downloading, tweeking and so on.But what the hell...the name of the game is to enjoy our hobby in whatever way takes our fancy. I'm currently deep into learning about the FMC for the PMDG aircraft. My learning curve is thankfully flattening off but I'm enjoying every moment of it.Have a good week!Cliff

Guest cliff

Thanks Mive........Cliff

Guest mangold

Hello.Difference btw a published STAR vs. a published TRANSTIONIf an airpot offeres STARs and TRANSITIONs for a RWY whose choice is it, pilot or controller.Regards G