Sign in to follow this  
Guest BobcatUK

Hello.. I wonder if someone can help me regarding GDI+

Guest BobcatUK

I'm at my wits end with this problem! I would be grateful for any help.I recently reinstalled FS9 to my new hard disk (I created a new Games partition - M:). The installation went fine and FS9 now works great. I installed the FS9.1 patch and now I haven't had a blue screen or CTD for the last ten days (Yay!).I reinstalled my PMDG 737-600/700 along with a few other paywares.The problem now is that when I start FS9 I get an error saying that the 737 panel will not function due to the lack of GDI+, and sure enough, when I load up the 737 for a flight the panel does not display correctly.the strange thing is, I am running Windows XP home (with SP1) and I shouldn't need the GDIPLUS.DLL. I have since downloaded the DLL from the microsoft site and put it in my FS9 root folder and my windows/system32 folder but this has made no difference.I am also getting another problem which may or may not be related.when I bring up the kneepad, for aircraft that don't have any notes, FS9 flips to the desktop and complains that it can't find 'Flight Simulator 9Uiresnobrief.htm' - however, the file is actually there, I can find it and open it!I have reinstalled DirectX 9c and used regedit to delete any incorrect references to my old FS9 istallation but this has not solved either of the problems. I'm struggling now!Any suggestions would be greatly appeciated - thanks.

Guest jettjokk

This is just one possibility. I did something similar to what you describe. I decided to put FS9 in it's own partition (actually also on it's own dedicated HDD-actualy 2 HDD's in RAID 0. Anyway I think I used ADD/REMOVE programs to uninstall the original, but I may have just deleted the files. After the reinstall there was a problem in the registry. Somehow the default path for FS9 in the registry still pointed to the original installation location. So you need to be sure the registry path is correct. With my problem I think I saw similar issues such as GDI crashes and no kneeboard. Just a thought.Dan Stalter

Guest BobcatUK

Ahh!.. A clue... I have traced it to a problem with a program I am trying called FlightSim Manager. When I start FS9 with the normal icon all my problems go away - I must contact the author.It a shame because I am using FS Manager to start FS9 in 'high priorty' mode - does anybody know of a good alternative?PS I am enjoying the PMDG 737 so much - I just wish the (visual) problem with the erratic movement of the elevator trim could be fixed - it tends to ruin the whole effect from spot view.

Guest jettjokk

Is it possible you installed FS Manager after you moved FS9? If so when you installed FS Manager it might have picked the wrong location for Flight simulator from the registry along the way for FS Mgr to be able to start FS9. Depends on when you fixed the registry. Also if you open the task manager when FS9 is running and select the processes tab and then right click on the running fs9.exe process a sub menu will pop up that will allow you to permanently set FS9 to run in high priority. You can also change it back whenever you like. When you do that WinXP will warn you it might be dangerous etc. but I did it without any apparent effect including no apparent improvement in frame rates. What did help from that same menu was to set all of the other running processes that were mine (can't change system processes)to run on processor 1 and set FS9 to run on processor 0. This if you have an HT (hyperthreading) processor. So I set FS9 back to normal priority.Back on the non HT processor FS9 would always have it at 100% anyway and now processor 0 is always flat at 50%. Maybe it hogs so much system resources there is no need to run it at high priority.Also have you checked out FS AutoStart? It's a freebie here at AVSIM by Ken Salter. It to starts FS9 by itself too but first it shuts down any background programs you might have running and don't need when using FS9. It will also do the same for running processes. Good interface shows you what progs and procs are running and even advises you on how to set them. Then when you shut FS9 down it will also restart the progs and procs if you want it to.Hope some of this helps.

Guest BobcatUK

JettJokk - thanks very much for your replies, they have been helpfull.I downloaded FS AutoStart on your advice and I am just messing about with it - seems good! I will probably stick to it.I dont have an HT processor yet, that will be for my next upgrade about April. I'm looking at getting a couple of 300Gb SATA hard disks as well, and running RAID1 - I hate waiting for FS9 to load.Thanks again.Rob

Guest Buck Bolduc

PMDG's uninstall program worked well for me, however I have seen cases where an uninstall program left a folder in Reg, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-SOFTWARE.A Machine Shop client of mine tried to reinstall a major application that ran the whole darn place. I was on vacation in Florida, they actually tracked me down. After spending a half hour on the phone with them I explained/walked them thru the procedure to delete the folder.They could then reinstall the software with no problems.

Guest rana

>It a shame because I am using FS Manager to start FS9 in 'high>priorty' mode - does anybody know of a good alternative?>some software/addon has problem when FS is launched in high-priority mode. apart from PMDG, I can also think of WideFS, and FSHost that may not work properly. If you have any of these addons, you will need to launch FS in normal priority - regardless of software used.

Guest BobcatUK

Thank you Rana, I understand now.Rob