Sign in to follow this  
flightsimmer747

What can be the main reason to insufficent fuel mssg on takeoff?

Hi Joe,The message means exactly what is says. You don't have enough fuel loaded for the route information and altitude you have programmed into the FMC. Simply stated, you need to load more fuel. There are tools available in the Avsim library which can assist you in determining the required fuel for a given route. Reserve fuel is for exactly what the term implies. It is reserve fuel above and beyond the fuel required for your route. Quoting from the manual "PMDG Documentation - Flight Management Computer (FMC)" from file "08_FMC_737_678900_V14.pdf" (available for download on the PMDG website):RESERVES: The reserve fuel weight is displayed at line 4L. Prompt boxes alert the crew that a reserve fuel weight in thousands of pounds must be entered. Even if no reserve fuel is to be carried the crew must enter a figure. (0 or greater)Helpful Hint: The value entered for fuel reserves is used by the FMS to determine when there is no longer sufficient fuel remaining to reach the programmed destination with the desired amount of reserve fuel remaining. Lowering this figure will cause the warning to cease, or lowering current fuel burn rates will also cease the warning.Occasionally it is possible to trigger the low fuel warning during initial climb out when a combination of factors such as current fuel burn, length of flight, fuel on board and reserve fuel desired create only a small margin of

Enter a low number, like 1,000 lbs fuel, into the reserve fuel box in the FMC and the constant dinging about low fuel will cease. I have always gotten that message, even loaded to the gills with fuel on a 300 nm trip. ricardo

It also does this sometimes on the real aircraft (I've been told). On the sim this might appear more than reality, I can't really say but I know I never see it on mine. It most likely appears in climb then goes away or perhaps weather effects the calculations (MS weather is funky at best). Just be sure than the guys in dispatch have given you enough fuel to make your complete trip ;-) and IGNORE the message...[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

anyway the FMC has some problem calculating the needed fuel... :D yesterday night EDDM LIMJ: PERF, N1, CLIMB, RTE, DEP, everything set at gate. remaing fuel at destination? 0.9 (with a reserve of 2 thats a ding every 2 minutes.... as soon as i took climbing through FL150 the remaining fuel was already above 2, and on shutdown i still had around 3.... Flew the whole flight by VNAV. It still remains my bird of choice but I'd like to know if the real one does this too. :) Ciao, Luca

Mike Ray (sp?) writes quite a bit about this "event" in his 767 Sim Checkride Guide. He mentions a number of reasons that makes it look like the real ones actually are more temperamental than our simulated ones. If I remember correctly his findings relate not only to the big sims, but also to the real aircraft. I know that the FMCs are different, but if the 767s act up like this I

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest Hawkeyeted

If you use the fuel calculator to load fuel, it asks for enroute "average" winds (either head/tail winds). if you subsequently forget to enter the leg winds in teh FMC, you may get the fuel warning.