Sign in to follow this  
Guest pwoods

Sudden climb after LOC capture

Guest pwoods

Hello All- I have been having an intermittent problem. I know I must be doing something incorrectly, but I can't figure it out. I descend to approach alt and turn to GS intercept course. CMD1 is already selected, with HDG hold. I press APP. I am below the GS. As soon as the LOC becomes active, my bird starts climbing to meet the GS, rather than just flying into it from below. Airspeed bleeds off, and I get the stick shaker. Anyone else have this happen?

Could you post a screen shot. Should give us more information to provide a suggestion.

Guest diajohn2

I an't be certain as the same thing happens to me. It seems to be you are starting the approach too far out when the glideslope is higher than your current altitute. FS9 ATC seems to do this at a lot of airports. When it starts to happen I disable Approach and wait till I am closer to the runway. The PMDG seeks the glideslope when approach is selected and if it is above, then it goes up.

You should be BOTH in HDG hold and in ALT hold before engaging APP mode. Sounds like you never read a tutorial how to properly fly an ILS. I would strongly urge you to read one because what you are doing is a serious procedural error. Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Guest hlm65

You can be in the VNAV/LNAV mode (with FMC alt restriction at your next point lower than ILS G/S capture altitude at the same point) too and the A/P logic will function pretty nice.

Guest pwoods

Michael- What is it about my original post that would give you even the slightest misgiving that I haven't read the tutorials (such that they are), or that I do not have a thousand hrs in the 737? I asked a specific question -- Have you encountered this or not? The assumption is that you would keep your seat if you haven't, and let the rest of us discuss. Don't be compelled to post a reply when you haven't anything to offer -- just makes ya look foolish. John- Thanks...your right, in that it seems to do more with my proximity to the airfield than anything else. I will shoot the ils at the other fields where I had this happen and post the specifics. Thnks to all. -pw

Hi,If you're in ALT HOLD and APP selected (G/S armed), the aircraft shouldn't seek the glideslope immediately. The G/S mode will become active not before than at glideslope capture, and that's when it will start following it. If it's not doing this, then it's either a bug in the SW or an intermittent "FS thing" which should go away after a restart.Tero

PPL(A)

>(such that they are), or that I do not have a thousand hrs in>the 737? In real life 737? Thousand hrs in the FS means nothing. And with your post #1 on the PMDG forum you looked like a classic novice. Again, if you are a real 737 pilot I clearly mistook you for someone else.>I asked a specific question -- Have you encountered>this or not? You asked specific question and I answered very specifically why it might be happening (and Tero above stated the same thing). No, it never happened to me because I know how to fly ILS. If you don't understand what I was saying that may be a totally different issue. But then ask - it makes you look folish otherwise.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

>You can be in the VNAV/LNAV mode (with FMC alt restriction at>your next point lower than ILS G/S capture altitude at the>same point) too and the A/P logic will function pretty nice.Yes, but this is not how textbook ILS approaches are executed in real world. ATC and what it requires in the terminal area has a lot to do with it.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Guest pwoods

>with your post #1 on the PMDG forum you looked like a classic>novice. Again, if you are a real 737 pilot I clearly mistook>you for someone else.>The point is, what if I WERE a novice? Isn't this the place to ask such questions? Rather than offer something helpful, your contribution is to tell me go read the tutorials because I don't know how to fly an ILS? Geez, why didn't I think of that! We're certainly lucky to have you here, shining your guiding light.>>I asked a specific question -- Have you encountered>>this or not? ...And your answer is...>You asked specific question and I answered very specifically>why it might be happening (and Tero above stated the>same thing). No, it never happened to me because I know how to>fly ILS. If you don't understand what I was saying that may be>a totally different issue. But then ask - it makes you look>folish otherwise.Ok, so your answer is a no, right? So why answer at all? I mean the rest is just blah, blah, blah, read the tutorial. -- Gee...thanks, and keep up the great work! If I ever have another question about flying an ILS, I'll be sure to grovel to the great wizzard, lie prostrate, and beg to draw from the vast well of his wisdom....or maybe not. My advice?...Get clearance for a lower a(l)titude.pw:-violin

Guest clearofconflict

Come on kids, cheer up!John Hepworth.

This discussion is degrading fast. If you check the forum rules you will see that this thread has a good chance of being locked. How about we move on now?

Guest pwoods

Thanks George, you're right of course - Time to move on...Just needed to remind 'his majesty' that when somebody decides to post a legitimate question in a "support forum" , they usually expect support, not the empty harangue bellowed in accusitory tone by those who wish intimidate rather than inform.Having said my peace...I'm wheels up.pw

Guest hlm65

In real world it happens to be cleared direct to an ILS IAF, in a way that if you wish, you can fly a VNAV/LNAV path. It happens many times and in a lot of airports. It depends on ATC and wx, but it happens. For example, almost all flights landing in Turin (LIMF) and coming from the south, will be cleared at 4000 ft direct to a point named OMILI which is the starting point for the ILS to rwy 36. So, if you have a FMC-equipped airplane, you can select a DCT OMILI and 4000 ft altitude restriction and you'll press your APP button just prior to arriving at Omili and you'll get a nicely flown ILS approach. Of course, in busy times/airport, you'll most probably get vectored to other pooint in the approach path and different altitudes.But remember that there are also many airports in the world that don't have any approach radar facility, so you'll get a procedural (that is, not radar vectored) clearance and most of these procedures may be flown with VNAV/LNAV if FMC is correctly programmed.