Sign in to follow this  
Guest bradzim

Using Sounds

Guest bradzim

I posted earlier, but couldn't find it... I know this is something that has been talked about in the past and caused some contraversy. I love the PMDG NG and NEVER fly anything else. It is simply a gem. I did however read the the Ariane Sound sets are wonderful too, if you are willing to pay. I decided to give it a whirl, b/c I wanted to see what they were like. I have read in here that there are some people that use both together and think the combo is great. I tried to install, but all I get is a very "prop-like" sound. I put all of the sound files in the -700 sound folder, copied the .cfg file and overwrote everything. The sounds do not make sense. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? thanks again!Brad Zimmer

BradMaybe you should post this over at the Ariane forum? ;-)Seriously, I don't have a clue as to what is going on. CHeers,

Guest bradzim

I read a post in this forum about some gentleman that are doing this. I thought I would get better resposnses here. No intent to insult anyone ect.... thanks!Brad

>I posted earlier, but couldn't find it...> I know this is something that has been talked about>in the past and caused some contraversy. I love the PMDG NG>and NEVER fly anything else. It is simply a gem. >I did however read the the Ariane Sound sets are wonderful>too, if you are willing to pay. I decided to give it a whirl,>b/c I wanted to see what they were like. I have read in here>that there are some people that use both together and think>the combo is great. >I tried to install, but all I get is a very "prop-like" sound.>I put all of the sound files in the -700 sound folder, copied>the .cfg file and overwrote everything. The sounds do not make>sense. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? thanks again!>>Brad Zimmer>> Sorry PMDG do not support users modifing their product. I doubt if anyone could really afford to purchase such a package just to use the sound. [h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

Guest bradzim

I searched a post from a while back and it looked like there were a people in here that were doing this. I was curious for their input. I do realize PMDG does not support this, but I figured that if someone out there is doing this, they could shed some light. Again, do disrespect to PMDG. I really feel that the PMDG line of products is miles ahead of anyone else. I just wanted to try a different sound set. The original sounds are great, but again, I like to tweak things all the time. Brad

Brad,Copying the files over was not a good move. The Ariane soundset is not directly compatible with the PMDG 737, and requires alot of tinkering to get it to work.It is certianly not a quick and simple task!Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest bradzim

Do you know how? If so, would you possibly be able to lend some help? Thanks my man!Brad Zimmer

Brad,As I mentioned, this is not easy. Attempt this at your own risk, and certainly do not contact PMDG if you get into problems, because as Randy mentioned, they do not support modifying their products.First move, always back up any files you are about to modify.The important file concerned is the sound.cfg file. This controls how the sounds are used in a given aircraft. The Ariane sound.cfg file is written differently so you cant just drop all the Ariane sounds into the PMDG folder.You need to compare the PMDG and Ariane sound.cfg files and make sense whats sounds are relevent, and using a combination of common sense, loading/reloading FS2004 to test the results, and most likely an audio editor to change the volume of the sounds too.All in all a very tedious process, it took me quite a while to "upgrade" my 737 sounds, and it was certainly worth it, but I would not recommend anyone to try it unless they really understand whats going on, for advanced users only!All the best.Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest bradzim

Would it be possible if you can send / post a copy of your sound.cfg file? I know this is beating a dead horse, but I want to be accurate from some one that enjoys these sounds. Thanks!Brad

Brad,Unfortunately I cannot pass on any files for a number of reasons.The key is not just the sound.cfg file, it is modifying many of the Ariane sounds to make them fit in, basically alot of data and alot of work. This modification is more of an Ariane issue, so I recommend you contact the Ariane forums and search for advice there.All the best. Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest bradzim

OK, thanks for the advice. Does Ariane even have a forum? I looked but didn't see anything. Thanks!BRad

Guest bradzim

Thanks.... What email did you send it to?I think you probably sent it to my work email, bradzim@cdw.comCan you send it to zimmerbz@hotmail.com?I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!Brad

Guest speight

I use Arianne sound, but had to follow the installation instructions included, to the letter. That done, it works just fine and is very good. You cannot simply drop them into the sound folder. You MUST backup all your pmdg sound files before starting the install. Arianne does not have a forum, their support is, I believe, direct to the customer by email, I have not needed to go there. Pmdg would not (for obvious reasons)support this issue, you are on your own except for us fellow simmers who are happy to try and help.Good luck.