Sign in to follow this  
Guest AndyH8

Several Questions

Guest AndyH8

New to 737NG but rally impreesed so far. We needed a good FMC WITH scenery. Good FMC on Ps1 but no scenery. This package seems to fill the gap.However, if you could help me with the following questions:-1. Can't get TCAS to enable. Pressed the rotary button and the white dots appear around the plane come up but ND states TCAS Off?2.Keep getting a kinda flaililng noise from time to time in flight any ideas?3.Is it always necessary to have STAR transitions To APPs. Or can I just select the STAR. If you always need a trans how do you know which one to select, other than trial and error. When I select certain STARS/Trans I am sometimes way to high to capture the G/S.I am using the navdadta.at site AIRACs and selected STARs from the same site. Happned at approach to EHAM.Thanks in advance.CheersAndy.EGNX

1) press the range button - TFC - (left click) in the middle to activate TCAS. on the ground, you should have a message "TA ONLY", in the air, it should change to "TFC"2) that's the trim wheel rotating3) my best answer to this one is, check the charts, they give you exact approach data, as how to descend, and highest altitudes allowed at certain NAV points. there are also approaches in the charts, and i believe transitions too. only bad thing, not always all charts are available (which then leaves you nothing but trial and error), but i believe for your case, for EHAM, you must be able to find complete charts, it's one of the mostly flew airports.

Guest AndyH8

>1) press the range button - TFC - (left click) in the middle>to activate TCAS. on the ground, you should have a message "TA>ONLY", in the air, it should change to "TFC">Thanks but it doesn't seem to do anything. As I say the dots come up but ND states tcas off. Do I need to set other things in the sim for this to work.CheersAndy

I'm relatively new to this excellent plane too, so excuse the loose terminology, but it sounds to me as if you have the wrong button.TCAS is switched on with a small rotary switch on the radio panel (somewhere about the middle or lower middle from memory)That should clear the "TCAS Off" warning.The "white dots" as you put it are activated by pushing one of the knobs up under the glareshield to the left of the autopilot. I think all that is doing is showing a range ring -haven't quite worked out what for yet.

ngxu_banner.png

Guest pagotan

Andy,What PMDG have you installed? The 600 / 700 do not have a TCAS functionality. You must have the 800 / 900 to get TCAS to work. Should you have the 800 / 900 I am sure you will find a solution to your problem by typing the word "TCAS" in the search page of this forum. All aspects of the TCAS functionalities including visualization of aircrafts when flying on-line have been discussed at length. As to the STAR / APPS question I believe the following link will provide the explanations you are looking for:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=75043&page=Michael

Guest frankathl

"Can't get TCAS to enable. Pressed the rotary button and the white dots appear around the plane come up but ND states TCAS Off?"Hi Andy,Do you have the 800/900 version? If not, TCAS will not work.If you do, don't forget to set the Transponder Mode Selector(on the Transponder Panel, which is on the Aft Electronics Panel, between you and the F/O). Set the selector to TEST to make sure TCAS is working, then either to TA ONLY for Traffic Advisories only, or to TA/RA for both Traffic Advisories and Resolution Advisories(Resolution Advisories are inhibited when the aircraft is on the ground). Of course, you will need other traffic to ensure you're getting live TCAS(either downloaded AI aircraft or a commercially available package)! There are some other settings you can make in the PMDG Styles Menu in regard to display of non-threat traffic, as well as range rings, but I can't give you exact info until I get home.Hope this is of some help.BR,Frank

>>1) press the range button - TFC - (left click) in the>middle>>to activate TCAS. on the ground, you should have a message>"TA>>ONLY", in the air, it should change to "TFC">>>>>Thanks but it doesn't seem to do anything. As I say the dots>come up but ND states tcas off. Do I need to set other things>in the sim for this to work.>Cheers>Andy>Ah, sorry mate, I misunderstood. On Radio panel, turn the rotary knob to TA/RA AND press TFC. That should bring TCAS to life!

Guest AndyH8

Thanks for all your help guy. Never ceases to amaze just how willing the community is to help.Still have a problem with the difference between Transitions and IAP's. Any thoughtsCheers AndyEGNX

>Thanks for all your help guy. Never ceases to amaze just how>willing the community is to help.>Still have a problem with the difference between Transitions>and IAP's. Any thoughts>Cheers >Andy>EGNX What exactly are you trying to do? TRANS are optional, just make sure to connect any route discontinuities..[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

Guest AndyH8

Randy.Trying to be as realistic and poss and hence what transitions are exactly for. I always DEL route 'Discos' When you select a STAR in the FMC, trans options also come up. These appear to have more detailed approach datas and fixes. However not sure which one connects to which STAR and sometimes with trial and error you end up with a mess going on a back and forth route. Hence the question.Do you understand what I mean?CheersAndyEGNX

Guest pagotan

Andy,Try to think in terms of common part and specific parts. This is valid for all segments of a departure or arrival where ever applicable. So you may have runway transitions which will lead to the first common waypoint of a SID and enroute transitions which will leave at the last common waypoint of a SID. STARS follow the same idea you may have enroute transition which will lead to the first common waypoint of the STAR then a runway denomination part which will leave the STAR at the last common waypoint and will lead to the appropriate approach. So in the extreme situation but more common than one may think your complete route could be made of 8 parts:Runway transition - SID common part - enroute transition - route - enroute transition - STAR common part - runway denomination - approach.Andy, if you are seriously interested in working with procedures you must have access to the charts of the departure and arrival airports you will be flying from and to. Many factors will determine which runway you will be using for take-off and therefore your initial heading. The same idea applies for landing. Therefore the appropriate procedures will derive from the general direction you are going to (SID) or comnig from (STAR). For example it would be very unusual to use a STAR directing planes from the NW direction to airport ABCD if the last waypoint of your route is SE of the same airport. Same logic would apply to a departure procedure.What I am trying to say is that if your flight is not controlled (you are not following online or other ATC instructions) then you are left with a thorough preparation of your flight from the gate of departure to the gate of arrival and this means that you consult, understand and translate into appropriate choices all the charts (including weather charts) necessary for the flight. Cheers,Michael

Guest frankathl

Sorry, posted twice by mistake.... :-(/Frank

Guest frankathl

Hi Andy, A diagram might help?You could also include a VIA segment from the runway to a SID that is common to more than one runway(not shown in the diagram).BR,Frankhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/105511.zipPS. Can someone tell me how to attach a Word document to a post without zipping it first, please? The only other option seems to be to post it as an image file?/F