Sign in to follow this  
rjsagel

FMC Procedure for removing a Discontinuity

Hello,On the 737 FMC - what is the proper procedure for removing a discontinuity from the flight plan?I need a simple example of "what to press first" info!When I do it now, I always seem to delete the wrong thing - not the discontinuity!!!!!Thanks in advance,Ron Sagel

Guest diajohn2

I cannot give you an "official" answer but one that will work. Click on the waypoint below the discontinuity and then click on the line with the discont. and then the execute button will light. Click execute and you are done.

Guest Captain Vala

Hi Ron, First, you can NOT delete discontinuity. I dont remember the buttons exactly but this is what I'm thinking: you've got to (in your legs page) place the next point after discontinuity on the discontinuity line. How's that? Bring up the legs page by pressing the "legs" button, (I assume that you already have your flight plan in there and trying to get rid of a discontinuity) bring up the page with the discontinuity shown on it by pressing "next page", then click on the selection key (on the right side) next to the name of the next point after the discontinuity, what that does is that it places a copy of the name of that point down at your typing area, then press the selection key next to the discontinuity line. Now you have a direct route from the point before to the one after the discontinuity. That should solve it.Regards,Vala

Guest Captain Vala

Hey you got 2 responds within about 5 minuts!Vala

Hello,Thank you for the quick response - I can now fix my mistakes!Ron Sagel

Guest tomahawk_pa38

I always click on the disco line then hit the delete key - it always worked until I upgraded to FS2004 then the other night I was flying from NZCH to NZAA (ILS approach for an easterly landing) when it kept putting a disco in after waypoint AA231 which I could not remove using my 'normal' method. Perhaps I should try doing it the way you have suggested above although my method works with any other flights I perform.

Ron,It's easy to think that a DISCO is an input mistake. DISCOs are pretty common in the real thing as well and this is the FMC's way of telling you that you need to take a look at the adjacent waypoints. Cheers,

Guest canyonblue737

>Ron,>>It's easy to think that a DISCO is an input mistake. DISCOs>are pretty common in the real thing as well and this is the>FMC's way of telling you that you need to take a look at the>adjacent waypoints. >>Cheers,Exactly. Remember you don't HAVE to close (ie. get rid of) discos at all. In real life when I fly somewhere I have a disco at the clearance limit when I insert the expected approach. I *could* close the disco but I don't because ATC has not told me to fly from the final fix of the STAR to the IAP of the approach. therefore having the disco remain reminds ME and the box itself that just because i "expect" the ILS XX doesn't mean i have been cleared to it. Often just before the final fix of the STAR ATC will begin to give vectors to the final approach at which point I close the disco by bringing the FAF or some other fix of the approach up to the top L1 spot and then extending the course to infinity using the intercept course function.discos can be good things!