Sign in to follow this  
Guest stevepow

I need Fmc Help

Guest stevepow

Ok i have been using T. Metzinger's tutorial. I did the first flight with no problems because the first flight does not use The FMC. so on to the second tutorial flight. I did everything the tutorial said to do word by word there were some things that were diffrent on my screen than were in the book. But i guess thats because the tutorial was made a year ago and some things might have changed. Anyway the problem starts as im coming in for the approach. I belieave the second tutorial flight is an auto landing flight. The thing is i can not go any further into the tutorial untill i get this problem fixed and that means i cannot start flying my own flights. I have done this flight 12 times already and cant figure out what the problem is.So here are the pictures of what the FMC is showing meIn this first picture i get this message as soon as i hit the VOR/LOC button i do not know what it means because i do not have any type of FMS dictionary to tell me what the error messages mean and how to correct it.http://img158.exs.cx/img158/8346/helppic12ck.jpgIn this second picture you can see the message (NAV Invalid tune 108.30) but as you can see in the pic the radio is already on 108.30http://img158.exs.cx/img158/2069/helppic24cu.jpgNow remember i am doing excactly what the tutorial is telling me to do so i do not know why i am showing any errorsNow I belieave i am current on what i have to be current on(1) AIRAC 0501(2) SID/STARS 0501So can any body please help me out after doing this flight 12 times im at the end of my rope and dont know where else to turn I want to finish this tutorial so that i can start flying my own flights

Guest Hawkeyeted

Steve,I'm not sure what the tutorial is telling you, but this is how to fly an autoland:When flying an Autoland approach, you need to have BOTH nav radios tuned to the same frequency (reason for the "Invalid" warning) AND the CRS setting on the MCP to the correct rwy heading (reason for the rwy/app crs error), as depicted on the FMC. (You have 095, should be 093).Additionally, once the ILS comes alive, switch your MODE from VOR to APP (not MAP as you have it).Try it out and let me know how it goes.

Hi Steve:I just flew Tim's day 2 tutorial (the one you mentioned) and followed it to the letter. Everything went fine except for one thing. As stated above, the course for ILS09 is 93 degrees. The tutorial says to use 95 degrees.And also as stated above, both nav radios (the one on the right and on the left)need to be tuned to 108.3 in the ACTIVE window. You have the ACTIVE and the STANDBY set to 108.3 in radio #1 (left side), but do you have the ACTIVE nav set to 108.3 in radio #2 (right side).

Guest stevepow

I just want to thank both of you for some type of answere im going to try it out right now and you know i never even noticed that there was a nave radio on thr right hand side i feel stupid. and the 93 degrees answered alot well here i go to try wish me luck. i will write back with what happend. Once again thanks guys

Guest BobLee

Hi, That's kind of strange. The approach course given on the ILS plate is 095 and the runway heading is 095. And, as you say, the tutorial says to use 095. So why would you use 093 and how did you discover that discrepency? Thanks Bob Zolto

Hey Steve... don't feel stupid. This is a complex addon. It's easy to miss stuff like that. I do it all the time. You'll learn it all in good time. Just relax and have fun. Rome wasn't built in a day.If you have anymore questions, ask away (after a search... but you know that already).

>>>Hi,>> That's kind of strange. The approach course given on the ILS>plate is 095 and the runway heading is 095. And, as you say,>the tutorial says to use 095. So why would you use 093 and how>did you discover that discrepency?>> Thanks> > Bob ZoltoI'm NO expert, but I think that it was 95 degrees in an older AIRAC. I am basing this on the fact that when I flew this tutorial the first time (over a year ago) I did not get the error.Can a SMART user let me/us know if this is correct?

Guest BobLee

Hi, The current approach plate for the ILS09 at KTNT, which is what you follow to fly the ILS, lists the final approach course as 095. If the FMS uses 093, it is wrong. If you fly 093, you are going to miss the runway. You can find the plate at www.airnav.com/airport/KTNT BTW, I'm a non-current intrument rated private pilot. Bob Zolto

Guest stevepow

well if this is true then there is something wrong and someone should say something to get it fixed i just started with this FMS so i dont know who to contact. I can just amagine how many people will have a problem with this until it is corrected. well im off to try it with the 93 degree heading

Guest pagotan

Hi,Bob and Steven, you may know that the Airincs used by the PMDG FMC are built from a US Governemt database called DAFIF. There is very little if any manual intervention during the compiling process.It could very well be that DAFIF shows 93 degrees whereas the charts shows 95 degrees.In fact in the previous Airinc 0413 the very same runway was listed with 94 degrees as per DAFIF feed. I am not saying that DAFIF is right or wrong, I am only trying to explain how such discrepancy can pop up.If you guys feel confident that the chart is more accurate than DAFIF then I would suggest you open with a text editor the wpNavAPT text file located in Your Drive:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9FMCWPNavData thne replace the line:Dade-collier Trng & TranKTNT09 10499093 25.861803 -80.912953108.3009300013withDade-collier Trng & TranKTNT09 10499095 25.861803 -80.912953108.3009500013and save it.I also think that if the discrepancy persists in the next cycle of Airinc then Richard should take some steps to make a manual adjustment.PS.: I just posted a message in the NavDATA forum about this issue:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...sg_id=653&page=Michael

Guest BobLee

Michael, I realize how the AIRAC is built and where it comes from and that there may be an error in the feed, but an instrument procedure is supposed to be plown from the data on the plate. If I'm in a non-FMS equipped aircraft, I have to follow the plate and if I'm using a GPS, it has to be the same as the plate. One of these is wrong and since the plates are current government ones, I would go by them. And since the runway heading is also 095,it would stand to reason that the FAC would be the same since there is no terrain reason for an offset approach. Now this has nothing to do with the tutorial and if that works with 093, then fine. I'm not going to hurt myself by flying an incorrect course on my computer. Bob

Guest stevepow

Ok well i just took the second tutorial flight and ..........Success!!! it worked just fine no problems at all i cant thank you guys enough i can now go on with the next part of the tutorial and i did fly with the course set to 93 but i think im going to change that to 95 as too Michael's Instructions. I am so happy now im learning so much.If it were not for this forum i would be lost Thanks! Im sure i will be back with more questions as i progress through the tutorial.

Guest pagotan

Hi Bob,Would that not be a perfect example of two government institutions (DAFIF and NOA in our case) having a different set of data to work on?In any event there is no way a full data base can be compiled directly from charts. In addition the only currently free source for data is DAFIF. Therefore I am affraid we have to live with it and thanks to people like you, Richard can make manual adjustments when required.Michael

I think we have to seperate two things here.One is the ILS course displayed in the upper left corner of the PFD.This is derived from the FS9 database and is as old as FS9 itself(you can change with afcad221).Two is the FMS database which is current if updated.Now if the magnetic variation has changed in the meanwhile you will get a discrepancy of one or more degrees.Remember that the FS9 world is static.Have Fun James

Guest pagotan

James,Initially when I read the thread, I thought it could have something to do with magnetic variation but on second thought I rekon this is not the case because the original tutorial which is more then a year old was based on a 095 degrees course and today the newest NOA chart shows also a course of 095 degrees. So unless NOA did not update the course I still believe this is a DAFIF error. Finally for the fun of it, I am using a new updated magvar bgl which shows the correct magnetic headings in MSFS so here again I point to the DAFIF deficiency. Strange enough Terry's procedure file for this airport shows a course of 095 degrees which comfort me in my assumption that this is the right course. Knowing that Terry and Richard use the same source for their respective databases I am really confused. This is why at the end of the search I thought it may be best to amend the WPnavAPT file as I suggested in an earlier post.Have Fun too!Michael