Sign in to follow this  
Guest stevepow

I need Fmc Help

>>> Hi,>> The current approach plate for the ILS09 at KTNT, which is>what you follow to fly the ILS, lists the final approach>course as 095. If the FMS uses 093, it is wrong. If you fly>093, you are going to miss the runway. You can find the plate>at www.airnav.com/airport/KTNT>> BTW, I'm a non-current intrument rated private pilot.>> Bob ZoltoHi Bob:I'm sure you know what you're talking about when it comes to flying an instrument approach, but with the current AIRAC (501), I can autoland the PMDG (straight down the center line)with the course set to 93 degrees on the MCP.So that brings me back to the question I asked above. Does the AIRAC dictate (within the simulation - not in real life) the runway course to use?

Guest stevepow

Hey a little off the topic is there a virtual airline that would be good for a trainy like me. i really dont know the airline termonalogy but would work with me to get me on the right track with online test flights and all something easy?

Guest BobLee

Murray, I have no doubt that it works with the current AIRAC, but where did you get the FAC to put in the MAP course window? The only way you know what approach to fly is when ATC tells you to expect the ILS09 to Dade. OK, the first thing you do is find the approach plate for the procedure. It tells you what the ILS freq is (108.30), the FAC (095), the minimums (279 and 3/4), etc. This is what you go by in real life. Somewhere, there is something incorrect in the AIRAC. Not a huge problem since we're simulating here, but I still don't know where you find the 093 FAC.Bob

>> Murray,>> I have no doubt that it works with the current AIRAC, but>where did you get the FAC to put in the MAP course window? >> The only way you know what approach to fly is when ATC tells>you to expect the ILS09 to Dade. OK, the first thing you do is>find the approach plate for the procedure. It tells you what>the ILS freq is (108.30), the FAC (095), the minimums (279 and>3/4), etc. This is what you go by in real life.>> Somewhere, there is something incorrect in the AIRAC. Not a>huge problem since we're simulating here, but I still don't>know where you find the 093 FAC.>>BobHey Bob!I don't know what FAC stands for but I get 093 from the FMC (Approach Ref page). See the original poster (Steve) second pic... above.

Guest tmetzinger

the 093 final approach course is from (incorrect) data in the DAFIF downloadHowever, the FMC error message that pops up if you set the mcp course to 95 does NOT prevent the autoflight system from correctly flying the approach...Frankly, you could set the MCP course to some crazy number and it really wouldn't matter much - because on a localizer all that matters is course deviation left or right, there is no "radial" to select.

Yep, this message simply tells you that the final approach course does not match the FMC database but it has no effect since it is only an advisory..[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

I understand now. Thanks Randy, Tim and Bob and you too Steve for asking the question in the first place!

Guest stevepow

Hey a little off the topic is there a virtual airline that would be good for a trainy like me. i really dont know the airline termonalogy but would work with me to get me on the right track with online test flights and all something easy?

Guest BobLee

Steve-- The only VA I have flown with is DC3 Airways -- a much different idea than flying an NG. I would think first of all that you would want to find a VA that flies 737's -- ones that come to mind would be Southwest, Alaska, American, Continental and Delta in the U.S. I don't know what foreign lines use the aircraft. And then the VA's I have looked at seem to want you to do things that the complexity of the PMDG aircraft make difficult. They want you to fly with the MS ATC, which doesn't really work well with the PMDG aircraft. Or they want you to fly online with VATSIM, which I have found to be almost as bad. VATSIM uses controllers who have no idea how the airspace system works and wouldn't know a vector from a Victor airway. And they don't understand the basic idea that the pilot is in charge, not the controller. All of this said, look into into it and if something strikes your fancy, try it out. If it doesn't work, go elsewhere. Many of the VA's try to act like they are real corporate entities, but just remember this is all a game.Bob

Guest stevepow

To be honest i would be too nervouse to fly online. i do not understand airport termonology and im studying hard enough learning hot to fly this plane to start learning airport termonology. I do like to use The build in ATC but i do not know how to use it with this plane why is it diffrent using ATC with this plane then it is to use another plane? what do you use?

Guest BobLee

Steve-- The problem with the built-in ATC is that it doesn't always follow the flight plan you use in the FMC, etc. It will vector you off into never-never land without any good reason and then try to turn you onto the final approach course (FAC) 50 miles out. And it can't do SIDS or STARS. I don't use any ATC when I'm flying the PMDG aircraft. I know enough to fly the plan and then when I get close to the destination, I can vector myself to the arrival procedure more or less the way the approach control would -- basically finding a downwind leg and then turning yourself so that you have a 30 degree intercept angle to the localizer. To do all of this "as close to real as it gets," you have to know a little about instrument flying. The FS9 ratings help and reading about it helps even more. Cheers Bob

Guest stevepow

Hey Bob,Could you tell me what VA airlines that you know of that let you fly the PMDG 747 and want you to fly with the MS ATC. I much would rather fly off the internet using the build in ATC. even if i dont fly the sids and stars hopefully the next version of MSFS will have changes to correct that. Thanks Bob