Sign in to follow this  

Banish the Blurries for nVidia Users

Folks,I have just finished installing and using the most amazing nVidia GeForce driver I have ever seen. The blurries are gone and replaced by amazing texture and detail that never knew existed in FS2K2!! My system is an older P3/867MHz/512MB running with a new Visiontek G4/4600. I was using the 29.42 drivers before, and thought everything was OK; but now my eyes have been opened.This is a third-party product, built on the nVidia 29.42, and going by the name of the Omega Driver; it can be downloaded at http:www.omegacorner.com.Please follow the install and setup instructions carefully, you must not have anisotropic filtering set, or any tweaking utilty (NvMax, etc.)fooling around with the mip mapping, This driver is pre-tweaked, and although advertised as optimized for image quality, not max FPS, my FPS went up about 20% due to be able to turn off texture filtering.Give it a try..I don't think you will be dissapointed.Todd ;)

Hi Todd: Thanks for posting that link I am going to try them out! Do you know of any other sites that I can download it from because I seem to be getting a 404 error when I download the windows XP drivers?? I guess there are too many people downloading them as we speak!Brandon

Brandon,Sorry, can't help. It will be interesting to hear if your results with XP are as dramatic as my with WinMe.

Hi.While it's true that the drivers improve sharpness, they also introduce a new problem, texture aliasing, or texture moire. They achieve the "improved" quality by setting an extremely low LOD-bias value. You can also do this manually with almost any Nvidia driver.A much better way to reduce blurries, without the texture moire effect is to use Anisotropic Filtering.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Well I would give it a try if i could downloaded the file but seems that the guys website has is not allowing downloads at this time because he has used his bandwith up any other site to get it at? Sam

Guest PaulL01

Frankly for FS2k2 these drivers uh suck! they are simply a very agresively set LOD based driver with no anisotropic filtering that causes all kinds of aliasing/swimming and shimmering in the textures until your at high flight levels. I'm not sure what game "Drive" had in mind when he compiled these, but clearly it wasn't FS.

How's the FSAA performance with the Omega's?

Just fine, no problems.I have been using the Quincunx setting on my system; it seems to get the best compromise of anti-aliasing with lower FPS impact.

I tried the Omega drivers, too, and I agree they give stunningly detailed pictures in conjunction with decent performance (at least not below former NVIDIA drivers with aniso) on my dated (PIII800/GF2MX400/19"CRT) system.On shimmering: According to my experience this is strongly resolution dependent. I found one resolution (1280 x something, but it's sure system dependent) where shimmering is nearly gone. Already changing resolution to 1280 x something different creates strong shimmering. Might be worth a try.BTW, mip-mapping is enabled in the simulator.Regards, Michael