Sign in to follow this  
Guest horrgakx

Shouldn't you be able to hear the APU??

Guest horrgakx

Something seems missing from these add-on aircraft, certainly with 737NG and Airbus 340 Pro ... and that is the noise from the APU!Any ideas?DaveW

Dave,Get used to it. The APU is not heard on the flight deck! It's a noisy place to work, the NG office. I think even noisier than the PMDG one. With all those relays and rectifiers and electronics and whatnot humming and buzzing.Hope it helps,

You can hear the APU of a BAE-146 from the flight deck :)I have to say that what Dave said is true.. you wouldnt be able to hear it very well anyway!

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

Guest sailingwill

I agree about not being able to hear the APU from the flight deck, but you can't hear it while it is on (from the spot view) with the engines shut down?Sailingwill

If you can hear it on the PMDG 744 thats upcoming, I would recommend calling maintence as there is a serious problem afoot.

Eric 

>If you can hear it on the PMDG 744 thats upcoming, I would recommend calling maintence as there is a serious problem afoot.When you switch the APU off, you can hear it for a few brief seconds as it spools down (and the rpm reach a certain frquency range) if the cockpit is very quiet (aircon and equip cooling off).Don't call me if you can hear this.You should also be able to hear it if you open the cockpit's overhead hatch.Cheers.Ian.

Hello, I have to start the APU of a 737-300 every morning as part of my job with a commercial airline. The only way I can tell the APU is starting is to look at the Engine Gas Temperature gauge. It's pretty noisy in the cockpit with all of the electronics. As someone said,it's even noisier than the PMDG 737.

NAX669.png

Guest horrgakx

Mike - that's an excellent job :) Can you tell us (me) what the procedure is so I can try to appply it in the sim?Dave

Dave, If you check the documentation that PMDG provides, I believe it's the aircraft operating manual,it gives the proceedure for APU startup procedure. The 737-300 is a little different than the NG but not much. I actually used the PMDG aircraft to practice the startup procedure when I was first learning it. I'm at the point now where I can do it in the dark and have it up and running in about a minute. It's pretty easy after you've done it a few times.

NAX669.png