Sign in to follow this  
Guest stevepow

Landing using FMC and ATC

Guest stevepow

>not advertising here, but you might want to try Radar Contact>instead of using MSFS ATC ... >>a very nice addition!!!What is radar contact and how can i get it?

Guest stevepow

i wanted to know i was on my way to landing when Atc told me to go around my mouth hit the floor because i never made a go around with this plane is there something i need to set in the FMC in order to do this go around. I read something that said to set the roll mode to 400 well what is the roll mode how do i set it and how do i know what to set it to? And the last question is what do i do to make a go around. Well needless to say i landed any way and hit the plane in front of me. Not to much damage but i dont think american airlines wants me to fly for them anymore (LOL)

Guest boxjockey99

There are 2 go around profiles, one from a 2 channel (autoland) approach and one from a single channel / manual approach.In a 2 channel approach ie one with both a/p's engaged the go around is automatic, ie the a/p stays in CMD. All you need to do is select flap and gear in the following manner:On Go around call - HIT TOGA button, A/THR will drive to TOGA powerSelect FLAP 15Positive rate - GEAR UPpassing the green 5 select flap 5Passing green 1 select flap onePassing green 0 select Flap upNote the aircraft will only climb to the alt set in the MCP so you MUST ensure that on every approach manual or a/p that you set the GO AROUND Alt in the ALT window.Once happy the go-around is in full swing wither select LNAV if the FMC has the go-around programmed in it or hit HDG SEL and fly the go-around on the heading bugIn a single channel approach when you hit TOGA the A/P will disengage and YOU are then left holding the controls so be ready. On hitting TOGA the A/THR once again drives to TOGA power but this time you need to fly the aircraft following the F/D bars. The procedure for flap and gear is all the same the only difference is that YOU are flying and not the A/PHope that covers it.As for Roll mode set to 400... no idea there is to my knowledge no such mode or selection so ignore that advice I thinkKris

Guest boxjockey99

ScottFS ATC is very crude in comparison so to be honest it is not the ideal place to learn VNAV modes. Put simply the answer to your question is ATC is not very good and doesn't understand how the VNAV mode works. Learn without the ATC and then see if you can make the MCP / FMC do what the ATC system wants once you are totally au fais. I have to admit I can't make FS ATC happy using VNAV and I fly the thing for real. Kris

Hey Kris,My understanding is that on a go-around, hitting the TOGA button (real airplane) first gives power for a nominal climb rate (1000 fpm?). Hitting the TOGA button a second time gives full go-around thrust. Can you confirm? (I don't know if the PMDG 737NG does this.)Don S.

Guest boxjockey99

DonThe double press only applies on the take off as far as I recall. If you are in the approach and G/A is showing on the Thrust mode annunciator above the N1 gauges then you will get full TOGA thrust when you hit the ####. What you are referring to is when you are in the take off scenario with a derated thrust setting so that in the thrust mode annunciator you get R-TO. When you hit the TOGA buttons you will get the R-TO thrust thus reducing engine wear etc. If however a situation occurs during a reduced thrust take off where you need all the thrust you have (eg Windshear) you can hit the #### again and get full TOGA power. I have never heard of a nominal 1000fpm climb on the first hit of the TOGA button in a go-around and in fact that would be pretty dangerous bearing in mind the idea is to get you away from the ground ASAP. As I recall the Go-Around mode will give you full TOGA thrust and the F/D will give you pitch cues to give Vref +15 (top bug) which is basically V2 in the take off roll. Once climing away you then retract the flap on schedule with the FMC commanding the next scheduled speed ie when you select flap 15 you get Vref + 15 then flap 5 you get 170kt commanded, flap 1 = 190 commanded and then Flap UP 210 and the speed window opens! That I believe is the theory (for the 300 series at least!) but thankfully I have only had to do 2 go-arounds and neither have been down near the ground.Hope that helpsKris

Guest stevepow

>>Note the aircraft will only climb to the alt set in the MCP so>you MUST ensure that on every approach manual or a/p that you>set the GO AROUND Alt in the ALT window.>Ok kris i got all the information but is there a set alt to put into the MCP for all go arounds or is there something i need to look for in order to find out what that ALt should be. And another question when is the right time to put the Alt into the Mcp I never use an auto landing i always use a one channel landing now if i put in a diffrent ALt would that interrupt what the auto pilot is trying to do like follow the glidescope.

Hi, Don.According to the Boeing NG Maintenance Manual, during Go-Around, the A/T aims for an 8% climb gradient with the first push (usually less than full go-around thrust). On the second push the levers to to the N1 thrust reference.Some Boeing ircraft A/T systems (e.g. on the 767) behave differently depending on whether the A/P is engaged or not. I couldn't find any details in this regard on the NG.Hope this helps.Cheers.Ian.

Hi Ian,That's what I was trying to remember. I thought that the NG behaved similarly. The less-than-full go-around thrust is to avoid the abrupt pitch-up that may occur with full go-around thrust application.Don S.

Steve,Every approach has their own missed approach (MA) altitude. Check your charts for the MA procedure. Here's an example of the MA for ILS RWY01L at ESSA:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/108075.jpgUsually you set the MA altitude when the A/P has captured the G/S. This will not interupt the current A/P pitch mode.Hope it helps,

Guest stevepow

Hey kris,well i took the flight again and of course around 200 feet i was told to go around but this time i was ready i hit the toga button followed the flight director hit auto and got my heading from ATC then i landed perfect.I think know its time for me to start flying the 737-900 i read through the manuel and everything seems to be the same as the 737-700 so i dont think it will be much of a change.By the way do you think PMDG will be making a 747??

Hi StevenTake a look in the forum just above this one ... Radar Contact .. lots of info there.

Guest stevepow

Hey mats,Thanks for the info it helped me alot i actually have an off the topic question for you. Where did you get the PMDG logo that you have on the bottom of your signature I like the one that says PMDG pilot i wanted to get that one but do not know where to get it could you tell me?

Guest stevepow

Hey kris its me again,Everything seems to be going ok but one of the little problems i have goes all the way back to when i started flying sims, Its about the flare i have read the manual and it says to start the flare at 50 feet but one of the problems i have is i dont know how much to lift the nose. I find my self just about to touch down then the plane starts to pick up again before it touches down and i always miss my touchdown mark. Now in the manual it said to land at the Vref spped =+5 is this true is so what can i do to always hit my touchdown mark