Sign in to follow this  
Guest shannon16g

basic question about filing flightplan with atc using fmc?

Guest shannon16g

Ok im used to filing my flightplan with atc so I can get departure approval ect. How is this done with fmc? You put the flightplan in fmc but then what do you do just tell atc you want to depart from a certain runway? and what about atc on the other end when you landing? Im used to using atc for vectors ect. Right now im just using the default flight planner and just putting that info into fmc with sids,stars stuff and then using atc as normal. I have been loading up fs9's flightplans then imputting it into FMC but im not getting the full potential out of fmc , I know. My question is how are you interacting with atc without using default flightplanner?? thanks.

First please take a look at the forum rules (at the top), you need to sign your posts.In the r/w airlines have folks who take care of creating and filing flight plans for their flights. Filed flight plans are not set in stone. They can change due to weather, traffic, etc. ATC can also request to "Amend" a flight plan enroot for similar reasons. So the FMC is typically updated many times enroot. FYI: The PIC always has the option of accepting or declining ATC's "Amendment requests".The pilot will call ATC, usually on a Clearance Delivery freq, to request and recieve clearance. Once clearance is received and confirmed, the pilot will enter any changes to the route into the FMC. The clearance will include any SID/STAR within the route. As I mentioned as the flight progresses, ATC can amend the flight plan as needed. On longer flights ATC will some times clear a flight to go "Direct " skipping a few waypoints. This is one way a delayed flight can pick up time by following a more direct route than originally planned. Again, the FMC is updated to reflect the change (and for utilizing autopilot functions such as LNAV). Airport configuration, weather and traffic typically dictate whether you will follow all of the waypoints in your flight plan. Weather and traffic patterns at the destination can change significantly from the time a flight departs. In my experiences ATC will provide an "Expected" approach and runway as a flight is descending on a STAR or when turned over to approach. Typically on the commercial flights I have participated in the pilot will enter a runway into the FMC based on the information available at departure (and update if any information is recieved enroot). The FMC is updated as things develop with ATC. Once ATC has communicated the expected approach and runway the FMC can be utilized to provide specific information regarding the runway, approach and missed approach. FMC routing functions are not used again unless the flight needs to divert to an alternate airport. FYI: If ATIS is available, it will also provide active approach and runway information.This desrciption is a basic and simple summary of how the FMC is updated during a flight. In the real world, things are a bit more complicated.FS9's ATC is not very sophisticated. The method you are using is probably the best you're going to get out of it. If you want a more realistic experience try using one of the on-line ATC resources like VATSIM.Also, take a look at one of the tutorials. They are a good resource for this kind of information.Hope this helps,

Guest shannon16g

so basicly I can only get atc to give me a vfr clearance using the fmc and fsnavagator planner because the ifr option isn't availible unless I create the flightplan using microsoft's planner then just follow my fmc route and amend any atc calls I want to that aren't following fms route? thanks Shannon Hill

Guest shannon16g

never mind. I figured it out. I needed to export my plan to fs2004 as well as fmc.

Guest kevinglave

ShannonI just saw this post, what plan are you talking about exporting and how do you do it?

Guest dgeddes

If you want the built-in ATC to guide you, you must load a flightplan from the Flight Simulator menu. Once you do this then you will receive the option to "Request clearance...". The default ATC does not know nor do they care what is loaded in your FMC. :)-Don