Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

Panel Studio question for Geofa and others

Guest JonP01

Hi Geof or anyone else who uses this utility.I wish to modify two of the original Sopwith Camel gauges and I'm wondering if Panel Studio will let me do it (I understand there is no trial version?).1. Change the airspeed indicator to read kts instead of mph, but using the original bitmaps.2. Change the moving card in the compass to read standard numerals (i.e in tenths of degrees) rather than N, NE, etc. The main bitmap would be unchanged but obviously I would need to create a new bitmap for the moving compass card.Does the above sound like it is within the scope of this utility? Do I need anything else to accomplish this, please?Thanks

Guest Scott Campbell

Jon,There's no way to change the code of a gauge, although you can edit the bitmaps. So you can change the image to read kts, but that's not accurate. You can replace the gauge entirely with the Cessna, for example, and have knots. If you have any of dozens of stand-alone airspeed gauges, you can edit the bitmaps to look "older".As a note, the Sopwith does use an MPH gauge.

Guest JonP01

Thaks Scott. Yes, editing the code would I guess have been neccessary in order to "tell" the gauge it is reading off kts, not mph. What other options might there be, as I don't think I would have the skills to create a gauge from nothing.

Guest Scott Campbell

Jon,There is a varitable myriad of gauges available arond the net. You could use one of the DC-3 air speed gauges, for example, and simply replace the Sopwith air speed gage name with the DC-3 one in the panel.cfg file.For example, in the Sopwith panel.cfg file there's:gauge07=Sopwith!Airspeed,408,141If you have an airspeed gauge you like (for example, the Cessna 172), just change the gauge name, and the line looks like this:gauge07=Cessna172!Airspeed,408,141There may be some issue with the gauge size, but you can always fix that, too.

Guest JonP01

Thanks. Yes I know I could just substitute another gauge but I wanted to maintain the same appearance as the original gauges. No matter, thanks in any case :-)