Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

Flight Dynamics

Dear PMDG,I'm not sure if I'm postin in the right place but I have a question about the 737NGs, series 600, 700, 800, and 900. Are the flight dynamics accurate? The reason I ask is because when begin to taxi and advance the throttles to start the roll, the airplane accelerates too quickly and continues to accelerate, even with very little power. I only advance the throttles just to the point where the airplane starts to roll. If I leave the throttles in this position, the airplane continues to accelerate way too quickly. But If I bring the throttles back a little, it comes to a stop rather quickly. It's not a smooth and gradual movement as is with the real 737s. The problem could be in the joystick. I'm using the Microsoft Force Feedback 2. But I don't have this problem with other jetliners I fly. Also, the steering on the ground is way too sensitive and takes a violent turn with just a small input to the joystick. By the way, I do have the latest FSUIPC.dll. Thanks, Ken.

I also have MSFF2. See that your sensitivities in FS are on default. And FSUIPC is registered or not? Maybe also calibrate your joystick and check that you have latest drivers installed (the ones that came on the CD are I think in fact the latest).

Guest frankathl

Hi Ken,PMDG strongly advises you disable the force feedback feature when flying the NG. See the AOM, Registration and Revision Information, Best Practices for Smooth 737 Operation, 0-26.BR,Frank

Hi all,Another thing that concerns me and I don't know if some of you have this problem. But when my 737NG is just sitting on the tarmac with the engines at idle and the brakes locked, the airplane still has a tendency to roll. It may roll a distance of 2 feet in about a minute or so. I've never seen a real 737 roll when the brakes a locked and the engines are at idle. Do some of you have this problem?Ken.

Calibrate your controlls with FSUIPC. Then you shouldn't notice the roll at idle anymore.

Ken,As DLP... whoever, suggested. It's most likely a calibration error. The NG doesn't need a lot of thrust to start rolling. Your ground idle should be around 20.4 %N1. And the FS parking brakes are not like your real-world brakes! ;-)Cheers,

Hi DLP084,Thanks for the tip. I have the registered version of the FSUIPC and is the latest version, 3.47. I've used some of the controls but I really cannot tell much difference. Is there a particular control you recommend that would work? The problem I have is when I try to adjust the sensitivity of the default Cessna 172SP. The elevator and aileron controls in the Cessna 172SP in FS2004 are way too sensitive, especially the elevator. I tried to reduce the sensitivity for the controls in the FSUIPC but it only gets more sensitive. It seems to me there should be a way to reduce the sensitivity and not increase it. Adjusting the Sensitivity controls within FS2004 has not effect and I usually leave them in the default position because I figure flight dynamic developers refer their flgith dynamics based on the controls being in the default position. Does anyone know how to reduce the sensitivity using the FSUIPC? I haven't found any accurate flight dynamics for the Cessna 172SP. Thanks, Ken.

Hi Mats SAS526,Yes, I agree with you. The engines do read around 20.4% N1 at idle. When I installed the FSUIPC module, I haven't made any changes to any of the controls so they're still in there original positions. I figured the flight dynamics in the 737NG would have been right without having to make any adjustments. It could be that different joysticks have different effects on flight dynamics since each joystick have their own characteristics. This is my guess. Ken.

>And the FS parking brakes are not like your real-world brakes!I think you've hit the nail on the head here, Mats. No way in the real world should a plane roll with idle thrust with the brakes parked properly (Takeoff thrust under certain circumstances (light weights plus slippery surfaces) might see the plane move, but certainly not idle). There are other top line simulators suffering from this effect, which, oddly, only appears to be affecting some users.Surely there has be be something in the basic programming of MSFS which would cause this common effect?Cheers.Ian.

Guest boxjockey99

In the real aircraft with brakes off the aircraft does have enough thrust at idle to maintain a steady taxi speed but certainly will not move when the anchors are set to park unless, as one poster said, the surface is slippery and you have a high power setting (as is now required in icing conditions as per the new Boeing Advisory to crews issued last week!)The only thing that PMDG's model doesn't model accurately is the pitch-power couple which is pretty pronounced on the 737 and indeed any low slung wing engined aircraft. By this I mean that when power is applied the nose pitches up and vice versa when power is reduced. I suspect this is a limitation of MSFS rather than PMDG's attention to detail. This pitch power couple effect is the reason we turn speed mode off while hand flyingan approach. If the A/THR still controls the power you can't tell what it is about to do so cannot pre-emp the pitch with some trim. If you have manual thrust you know you are about to increase power so trim accordingly! Hope that is usefulKris