Sign in to follow this  
tasev1

747 featurettes - really needed stuff

I just hope PMDG won't make the same mistake as Level D's 767 project: no rate 4x capability, and NO pause at top of descent. I know not everyone needs that, but for many on long range aircraft, these features are necessary. And for those who disagree, they are hidden and don't affect your use of the flight. The 737 didn't need it because it is a short to medium range hauler.Those two reasons are the biggest for me getting my money back on the 767. I think I will wait for captain sim instead on that one - even if it takes them 2 years.I truly am impatient for the 747 - I am getting tired of having the pss airbuses my only long range aircraft. Too bad for the '67

Aleksandar Djordjevic

WAT528.png

Sacha,However important these features may be for you please consider another point of view - there is no commercial professional simulator that gives you capability to simulate things in accelerated time. You can still use 747 on shorter routes - I am buffled by simulation 'purists' who think they must simulate real-world operations and fly 10-hours routes only. And with 'save' feature you can split your 10 hour legs into multiple pieces so saying that you can't do long haul without 4x is simply not true. If PMDG can pull it off that's fine but I would not hold off release only because accelerated time is not done.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Guest Daniel Pimentel

What's the point of flying an ultra-realistic add-on if you're going to accelerate the flight? :-lol You're willing to make a long pre-flight, set up an FMC, etc. but not to actually fly the route? If it's time constraints, just save and resume. Always works for me anyways.Daniel P.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)

Sacha,Perhaps you'd like to clue us all in then on how to program a complex custom autopilot that not only performs nearly exactly like the real airplane under normal conditions but also does so at 8 or 16 times the normal rate of change in flight? Would you like to tell us how to make that work when FS's weather engine exagerates wind shifts and turbulence at high time compression rates, often causing the autopilot to not even know what its situation is because of the plane getting tossed all over the place? Do you think the real aircraft's computers, running on 100s of times less computing power than the PC you're sitting at could do these things? You honestly should be glad that you get even 4X in the NG or the 767 with how close these simulations both are to their real-life counterparts.The maximum range of a 767-300ER puts it at around 12-14 hours - are you really saying that cutting your flight times to a quarter of what they should be is still not enough? Perhaps shorter flights might be in order?I think the pause at TOD option will probably appear in the 744 Options menu if you're lucky, but if you're going to expect it to fly at 16X with no regard for the reasons why it can't do it, you're in for an unwarranted disapointment.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest mruane

Frankly a flight at 4x is just as boring as one at 1x over the ocean - well perhaps not, as you fight with everything happening so fast. I do it the simple way and plan the flight so that the FMC does all of the work and I can just go to bed once we are in the cruise. If I plan it right, I am getting up at just about the top of descent point - which is probably what they do in the real world anyway. NZAA - KLAX is 12 hours so 4x really doesn't help much. The "Pause at top of Descent" option though does make sense and would be useful should I oversleep (although 10 hours is about right for me!).Make it so number one...

Guest Ridge_Runner_5

^^^^Werd!

>The "Pause at top of Descent" option though does make senseEven more sense makes TOD minus 15 minutes. I would rather be 'awaken' earlier and consider an earlier flight level chnge to expedite my descent/request flight level change, etc. Also some housekeeping may be in order so having a few minutes of spare time might help.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Guest _sebastian_

Never mind about fluid time acceleration. It takes you outside the action and gives you flash-backs to the eighties where all movies had the mandatory 3 minute love scene totally separated from the story itself. All you do is wait for the movie to go back on track.Instead, it would be very nice on a long haul carrier (and perhaps even on the 737) to have a jump-to-waypoint function with estimated fuel/weight/CG/position adjusted. I cannot say if this is to complex to be modelled into the PMDG747 but I guess that, in order for it to work, developers have to figure out a way first to save the exact state of the aircraft with all parameters as-it-was, and then how to load up the exact same parameters again adjusted for the next waypoint. Desirably all in one go. On paper it looks simple enough. Much simpler than fluid time acceleration in fact, because it is basically the same thing except for the rendering between the starting point and ending point which is left out in a jump-to-waypoint scenario. Edit: But maybe the FMC and nav fixes cause to much hassle for this to work on an MS platform.Regards,Sebastian

Guest mruane

Your right Michael. One thing I have noticed with the other add-on that provides this TOD pause facility, is that it pauses right-on TOD which means that everything happens at once as soon as you un-pause. A 15 minute gap would be useful to get my act together.Sebastian's "jump to waypoint" (below) also has merit. The more I think about it the more I like that idea.

If you have radar Contact you can get it to pause at a set dstance from the destination. I have it set at 200nm but only use it on the rare occasions the 'Minister for War and Treasury' requires something done at short notice.Aa for 4X - cannot see the purpose. If I wanted (which I don't) to do the start and finish I would use the 'slew feature' in FS to get from TOC to TODRegardsAndy b

Guest A32X

I can't understand people wanting to fly at anything greater than x1 speed; especially if they leave their PC and go down the pub/shops for 4+ hours. If you

Sacha You asked for a refund just for that ???Shame on you, impatient.... well you got that part correct.Show some respect, trying to model a Boeing 767-300ER on a generic PC, and trying to make everyone happy is a virtually impossible task, and for you to rant about two small issues is truly unbelievable.Ive had the LD767 for two days, and sure its got certain "issues", but it raises the bar on quality and functionality in many areas too. Overall ... it is a superb aircraft, with a few gremlins.The most important thing for you in making your refund decision is how well LD767 respond to their customers concerns, and how long it takes for them to identify and fix problems, thats called customer service, and quality assurance.And since its been out only for a few days, I expect they are working very hard to read 100s of posts, and collate true problems, which need attention. This "typical ignorant ranter" is EXACTLY why PMDG do not release information... because there are always "some" who just rant and rave for no constructive reason, and already I have seen too many for my personal comfort.Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

>Show some respect, trying to model a Boeing 767-300ER on a>generic PC, and trying to make everyone happy is a virtually>impossible task, and for you to rant about two small issues is>truly unbelievable.It's that exact point that you should ALL probably back down and find something more productive to do people. Companies or one man bands can NEVER expect to make everyone happy (face it... that

>Strap yourself in a real Level-D sim and your not going to be>able to hit time warp or for that matter "pause at TOD">>>Right. They just jump you to the beginning of the next flight phase and throw another slew of failures at you. Sim time is expensive, so they aren't going to waste 6 hours doing nothing in cruise flight (of course they do simulate failures during cruise, but they don't wait around for hours it to happen).-Lee Barberhttp://home.nc.rr.com/uniuniunium/dvasig.jpg

Guest Ray51

This is something I fail to understand. Why fly a long haul flight in time compression. If you can only fly for say 3 hours then do a 3 hour flight. No one makes you fly long haul it is your choice. I see alot of planes slewing across the map on VATSIM with ground speeds of 2000. There is nothing wrong with setting up a short haul in a 747 where you climb to cruise altitude and 15 to 20 minutes later start your descent. At least that is possible in the real aircraft where 4x time and the like are not.Ray