Sign in to follow this  
Guest sinistre

FMC flight plan + ATC

Guest sinistre

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction (doc's)...How do I file the flightplan (programmed in the FMC) to the ATC in MSFS2004?Couldn't find any answer in this forum...Or anywhere else...Tx in advance...Pieter

Guest Charlie Hall

As far as I can gather most who fly the 737NG do not use the FS ATC. I do like to use it so I tried to compile 2 flight plans based on the same waypoints, one for the PMDG FMC, and one for the default FS flight planner and it seems to work fairly well. I have found that if you want to fly the exact plan you can ignore the ATC's heading directions and all they do is continually ask you to correct your course. They haven't cancelled any of my flights yet. There might be other disadvantages though, but I haven't discovered them as I don't have enough time to do too many flights.

Guest sinistre

>I have found that if you want to fly the exact plan you can>ignore the ATC's heading directions and all they do is>continually ask you to correct your course. They haven't>cancelled any of my flights yet. Yeah, figured that out too...:-)The problem is, that I'm planning flights with Routefinder (http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/) and typing in / finding the wpt is a drag in FS2004. I'm now using FSnavigator (free version). With this I can export the fp to a *.pln file.However, it will cost me 40 bucks to buy this.But tx for the help!!!

Guest Charlie Hall

I also use Routefinder, the free version of FSBuild (also FSBuild Assistant is useful to easily convert Routefinder plans that can be pasted directly into FSBuild), and the pre release beta version of Super Flight Planner which I find good but I do have trouble with some of the SIDs and STARs which are a bit strange in the London UK area (not sure about all other areas yet), however I can adjust them manually from real charts. It is a bit cumbersome setting all these programs up though but I have to accept that if I want to do it for free! I think Routefinder is very good but I am still struggling to find ways of making the job of creating plans from its data easier. Of course once the plans are created they can be used more than once.

Guest meyomyx

PieterThe easiest way is to use the FS flight planner first and then program the FMC. If you create the plan with the first fix a reasonabel distance away (get rid of the close ones), you can use this flight plan for all departures using different SIDs - ATC may bleat at you for a bit ...... or you can comply with their instructions.The other way is to use something like FSNavigator that you can create more sophisticated flight plans and will export to .pln.Provided the FMC and your FS9 flight plans are the same, ATC is OK to use ...... and for me is preferable to nothing. All you need to do is work out what you're going to do when you are approaching your destination - either fly a profile (cancel IFR and request flight following) or fly as ATC instructs.Sounds naff .... but actually it works OK ....... ish!

Guest jettjokk

This is prettly similar to some of the others. I sprang for a 6 month membership at RouteFinder. That allows downloading of a PMDG style flight plan. However that downloaded flight plan will probably not contain the waypoints for any DP's or STAR's, even though RouteFinder picks and lists them. What will be downloaded are origin, destination, and the necessary transition waypoints to then pick the DP/STAR from the FMC menu. Then I will recreate this flightplan in FS9. Right now this is a little tedious but there are free and pay programs to convert a PMDG flight plan to an FS9 flight plan so eventually I'll speed that up. At this point neither flight plan knows which runway will be assigned to land on. In a Flight Simulator IFR flight plan, you will hear from ATC about 50-70 nm from your destination. They will want to begin the vectoring to approach the runway they have assigned to you. But right here you can pick a different runway or approach. By using the available charts it's EZ to pick an approach that is consistent with the STAR and IAP. I use the ND map display and step through the waypoints to eliminate any backtracking, discontiuities, make sure the trun onto final approach course is far enou from the runway, tec.) Just note what alt you were assigned to descend to and begin descending or ATC will complain about that. While still pretty far from the runway (25-35 nm,) ATC will clear you for the approach you selected and instruct you to call the tower when inbound. You will have to manage the vertical navigation-ATC won't. Some of the STAR's have altitude restrictions to be mindful of. I wait until I'm about 10 nm from intercepting the final approach course or localizer and call the tower. They clear you for a straight in. This is the only way I can use the FMC and FS9 ATC together but it works well for me. Hope that helps.DanS