Sign in to follow this  
Guest cw1011

PMDG 737NG shines in Multi-Monitor setup

Guest cw1011

I bought a 17" flatscreen this weekend to finally do something I've been thinking about for a while - set up a multiple monitor "cockpit" with the instrument panel on a center flatscreen, the outside view on a large 21" crt, and a third monitor for engine instruments, radios, FMC, etc. Have to say, having finally put all the pieces together, that the PMDG completely rocks in this set-up. With the center panel in Zoom mode, the FMC on the third monitor, the eye movements and physical referencing of outside and inside felt very real, a lot like the 777 simulator in Denver. The set up also made it a lot easier to focus on the PFD becuase it was so prominent.Also,with the great PMDG gauge work, I don't see much need for the $600 US for the Project Majenta software I had been contemplating. Just don't see a lot of added value over what PMDG offers. So, if you have been thinking about doing this, I highly recommend it. It may seem counter intuitive (because the panel background graphics are really de-emphasized in this set-up), but the immersion factor really increased for me, especially with night flying. With the lights off, a small light over my flight plan, the two monitors flowed together really seamlessly in my mind. It was pretty neat. Large CRTs are really cheap, used (craigslist is a great resource), and the flatscreens are really coming down in price. The only real challenge is getting the height of the CRT for the outside view just right. For me the flatscreen made the difference, allowing a low enough profile for the outside view CRT that you don't crane your neck lookin up to look outside. I'll post a photo in the next couple of days. Thanks PMDG for the wonderful product. In this set-up it really does feel a lot like the real thing.

Guest mc.kar

Yes...you are kinda saying to your self..."where have this extra monitor been all my FS-life". And PMDG has a well implemented the OH panel multimonitor solution - one that its just right for a extra monitor.Best regardsMichael

Guest iain williams

I look forward to seeing a screen shot & comparing to my twin monitor system. Go PMDG........Iain

Guest iain williams

Iain again here.You said three monitors (I only have two connected).How did you do the three screen system? How are your frames? Are you using wideFX and FSUPIC?Feel free to send me private post if you want to at idwilliams@optusnet.com.auThanks.......Iain

Iain,I also have a dual monitor setup right now, but I should receive my Samsung 19" TFT Syncmaster 913N anyday now. I'm gonna use an extra PCI graphics card (mine has only one VGA output, but others have dual) so I get three monitors that way. If you have lots of money you can also go for the latest SLI-technology which allowes you to have two PIC-Express video cards with two outputs each installed (plus of course ordinary PCI ones).That should fit nicely with the goflight equipment, which btw I haven't been go get to work properly with the PMDG yet (if you remember our discussion from the goflight forum)./Krister

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest iain williams

Hello Krister,Thanks for the note. I also have not managed to get GoFlight to operate successfully with the PMDG 737. I've spent the good part of three days messing with it! Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I've also noticed that occassionaly when it works other instruments for the FS9 default planes do not work correctly requiring another work around. Quite clearly (at least to me) any work around is temporary.Basically I've given up on trying to get GoFlight to work with PMDG. I feel I've wasted the good part of $1000.00 on the GoFlight panels as I fly 90% of the time with the 737. One panel that does work very well with PMDG is the nav/com radio freq panel - this is great. The lights also work with the GFT8 panel. But as for the MCP, other instruments and RP48 - forget it.I've looked at the other options around and followed Doyle's advice to the letter without joy.As I said above, I have a job and another life outside FS9 and I hate to waste time attempting to fix things so they work. In my opinion they should work when you buy them - they are NO cheap panels. When I bought my panels I specically asked PC AViator if they worked with PMDG and they said YES!I've listed a seperate post on this forum asking PMDG if they will construct some code for the GoFlight panels, but no one has answered yet.Take care....Iain

Guest Juzzflyer

Iian,I was also told by PC Av that the GF gear would work without a hitch with the NG. To cut a long story short I also feel I have wasted in excess of $1000 on almost now seemingly useless hardware.Im now looking at a different set up to only use the GF radios as they seem to be the only thing that works (most of the time).Thought i'd add a pic of stage 2 of the sime set up (early days but having fun none the less).

Hi Colin>>I'll post a photo in the next couple of days. Thanks PMDG for>the wonderful product. In this set-up it really does feel a>lot like the real thing. >Would like to see the picture of your setup as I am thinking of doing the same.

ww1459.png

I have no problems whatsoever getting the GF-LGT to work with PMDG and I haven't had to do anything special to get there. The GF-166 works flawlessly as does the GF-46, GF-RP48 and GF-T8. It is the GF-MCP that is causing me headaches right now.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest cw1011

I'll try to post some by the weekend.