Sign in to follow this  
Guest stevepow

PMDG and video card

Guest stevepow

OK this might be a little off the subject. Ok i have been using the PMDG 737-800 and i love it but im not sure i have the best graphics card. Now i want to buy a new graphics card and since all you guys and girls use the PMDG and MSFS it would be best to ask you. right now i have a dell 8200 1.99 GHZ 768 MB RAM (RDRam PC800) and a nvidia Geforce FX 5200 ultra 128 All of my settings are low and im still not satisfied what do you thing the best graphics card i should get that wont leave a hole in my pocket and will make me happyi will read all of your comments and then make my decision.Thanks for helping me out

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Steven,I changed my 64mb Nvidia card for a 256mb one - virtually no difference - if anything I think it was worse ! However I upped my RAM from 256 to 1 gig - boy, did that make a difference. No more waiting for views to reappear and almost no more unpainted aircraft.

Guest ahmedem

Best thing to do is to decide on your budget and then get the best card you can affort on that budget.With video cards, espically on MSFS, I've found the chip type counts for more than memory so if you're on a tight budget don't fork out for a 256MB go for a 128MB.As far as the best GPUs around ATI's current front runners either 9800, X800 or if you wanna stick with nvidia the FX6800 series. These have had the best reviews generally.There are others better qualified than me to answer, but my response is based on my experience.

Guest msk172

Hey allThinking about building a new system, anyone have any thoughts on GeForce6800GT vs. ATI X800XT? ThanksMike Kaplan

Guest stevepow

Thank you for all the answeres guys well this is what i am going to do. I am going to build a computer from scratch I am going to get an AMD motherboard with an AMD 64 2.2 ghz proccessor 2 gigs ram (DDR) the nvidia 6800 ultra new tower with 500 watt power i have an 18 inch LCD monitor so i will keep my other computer that i am using nowso that i can have 4 monitors....... The electric company will love me (LOL) so what do you guys think do you think this system will be good enough for MSFS?????

Hi Mike,If you do a search here in the forum you will find lots of threads on the subject which should give you some input.Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

Guest Buck Bolduc

>>Hey all>>Thinking about building a new system, anyone have any thoughts>on GeForce6800GT vs. ATI X800XT? >>Thanks>>Mike Kaplan>Mike.I used a ATI 9800 Pro 128 for about 8 monthes and found it good.Then upgraded to Nvidia 6800GT 256. I found the 6800 GT better WRT AC and general image quality. The reason is with the 6800 I could enable AA 4x and anostrphic 8x and still maintain 38-40 FPS, locked at 40.Yesterday NVidia released a new driver version 71.84 (I think), I see an increase in FPS, now locked at 50. This with most sliders maxed or allmost so.The longer a card is out the better the drivers get.Trouble is as you know, todays best is obsolete next week!As another poster claims, enough memmory counts as much as an expensive video card, so true.Best