Sign in to follow this  
SteveLewis

CH Yoke & 737NG

I've got a problem now that I'm flying the 737-800 on flights over 2 hours. Seems that everything is great until I'm on final and then my CH Yoke goes numb -- doesn't work at all. Didn't happen on my first few flights of under 90 minutes but for my last 3 flights the yoke went dark and didn't work at all on landing. Needless to say, this kind of spoils the entire day/evening when you can't even land the thing. I'm using XP-Home(SP2) and have downloaded the CH Yoke Control Manager 3.6 and calibrated it also. Anyone who can help I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks.

Is it possible that I'm using the FMC improperly and that the FMC is causing my CH Yoke to be inoperable? Seems improbable but possible. I had hit execute on the FMC for Cruise at FL330/M.80 but didn't know how to disconnect it to go to manual. *:-* I know: RTFM!!! Guess I'll have to banish myself back to the 737-300 & 500......

Hey Steve, I use the CH yoke and rudder . I have had problems myself when not touching them for an extended period of time, the yoke stops working. I have it hooked up to a USB hub. If I unplug the USB cable for my yoke and plug back in, all is fine. It never seems to effect the rudder pedals. I'm not sure if that is your case too? I have seen this with other aircraft, not just the737NG. My problem is system related. I use Win2000pro. Win2000pro and XP share the same Kernel, so they are very much the same in may ways.I hope this helped. Best regards, Moss1

Gents - I think Windows has a function to put USB ports to sleep if they're not used for some amount of time. Go check the USB settings in the Hardware Manager under System. Hope it helps,

Thanks, guys. I just recently upgraded to Win-XP Home from Win98SE so I never had this problem before. At least I now know that if I unplug and plug back in that will restart it.

I don't see anything for USB settings in WinXP-Home under Start/Control Panel/System/Hardware like you indicate. I'm assuming that there should be a timer or something to adjust the "go to sleep" timing of the USB connector. Last night I kept unplugging and plugging in what I thought was my CH Yoke but it turned out to be my mouse! :-lol When I unplugged and reattached the yoke it worked. There has to be a hardware setting in WinXP that corrects this problem.

Control Panel->System->Hardware tab->Device Manager->Universal Serial Bus controllers->USB Root Hub->Power Management tab->Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device".You may have more than one "USB Root Hub".- Bill

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

All of my Hubs (5) were checked. I unchecked them all since I couldn't determine which was the one for my Yoke. Thanks!

Another over 2 hour flight tonight with all of the power saving USB boxes unchecked. Same problem. No yoke upon landing. I just unplugged it and reinserted it and it worked. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

Guest RonB49

Hey Steve,I just remembered something about CH Yokes and XP. I told you in the other thread that it had happened to me some time ago and I recalled that it just "magically" went away. That is not true!Now I remember that it started after I got XP and the thing that fixed it was downloading and installing CH Control Manager. I did not need to use the CHCM (although I have since used it to map special functions) but just installing it fixed the problem. I know that CHCM loads its own drivers. If you have not DLed and installed it, you are using XP's drivers.Get it at www.chproducts.comR-

I downloaded and installed CH Control Manager. I then calibrated my USB Yoke and went flying. Again, after a flight of 2:15 (CLE_TPA) my Yoke would not work -- this is after unchecking all of the power saver boxes for the USB Hubs and having CH Control Manager. Now, as a regular preventative measure, I have to unplug and replug in my Yoke prior to decent! :-hmmm Something's not right!

Guest Figo

Folks,I have the same problem with my CH yoke. And this problem surfaces only with the 737NG. I never had it with the PSS airbus which I have used for over a year and neither with any of the other planes. I too unplug and replug the Yoke prior to landing. Cheers,Shantu

Come to think of it, I've only experienced this since I downloaded and started using the 737-800/900. :-hmmm Anyone else having this problem?

Guys - Been flying with all my PMDG, and others, add-ons with the CH Yoke and the CH Pedals, both devices are USB, without any problems at all. So it obviously works. And I haven't seen that many reports of it not working from other users here on the forum. So my guess is that something's not set up right on your systems.I'm running without the CH drivers. I'm using MS default drivers for these devices and the USB ports and root hubs. I'm running under win XP Pro. My computer is allowed to turn of power to all my USB ports, but still haven't had any problem with the CH products.What you could try is to disconnect any other devices you have, maybe they are consuming to much power and not leaving enough for the CH thingies. Another thing to try is to uninstall the drivers for devices, ports and root hubs and let Windows automatically reinstall the drivers. This to make sure the drivers are undamaged.Hope it helps,