Sign in to follow this  
Guest air miles

A question about flap settings

Guest air miles

Could someone clarify this for me, please,The green flap setting indications calculated by the FMC on the PFD airspeed tape....do they indicate the correct flaps manoevering airspeed for that particlar flap setting or the point where the flap lever is to be moved to the next setting?and the other question is:whats the small white line bug indicating that appears on the airspeed tape on final/flaps 30 ??I cant work this one out. I cant find any mention of it in the manualsit's not Vref+5 confusedJonboy:-hmmm

Guest PittsburghII

Hi Jonboy (?), The green numbers on the speed tape indicate the minimum speed for the current flap setting. So, when taking off, you know that once the airspeed passes the "2" on the speed tape, you have enough airspeed to select flaps 2 instead of flaps 5. The white bug on landing is Vref + some number. I think this number can be set in the FMC in the APP page (am at work right now, so I cant check for you). Also, I don't remember what number it is, but something in the back of my mind tells me that it is Vref + 15. Hope this helps,BoazEKCH

Guest air miles

thanks for that boaz,do you know..does the opposite apply on landing??I always thought that for example the flaps 15 bug indicates the recommended speed for that flap setting.Still wonder what the white bugs for.....Maybe those nice people at PMDG will enlighten us....Jonboy (nickname) real name jon

Guest Pittsburgh

Hi Jon, Yes, the opposite almost applies on landing with the exception that you will not see any indication for flap setting 2 (again, this is without going through the excellent manual -- definitely worth a read). So, the indication of flaps 15 on the speed tape is the minimum speed you can operate with flaps extended to 15 degrees. If your speed goes lower than that indication, you will have to extend flaps further to avoid turning into a stone (or, at least attain the aerodynamic characteristics of a stone :-)). It has to be said that I am just an armchair pilot (with the exception of very few hours in single engine props).Hope this helps,BoazEKCH