Sign in to follow this  
bgps

'Insufficiant fuel warning' during long cruise

Just wondering when flying a long trip, say from Toronto to Vancouver I at cruise level get a message from my FMC saying "insufficiant fuel". There is enough fuel on board. I use the fuel calculator and am using FS Nav for to plan the flight. This message remains until just before the TOD, then it disappears. Am I doing something wrong? BGPS

Hi,Have a look what value you entered in the FMC for reserv fuel, if that value is greater than what you have when you land I belive you will get this warning.

Richard Åsberg

Thanks...I have always used 4.0 as my reserve. Is there a standard that is normally used for the reserve?BGPS

I belive you'll find that information in the PMDG documentation, I usually use 1000 kg as my reserves.Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

Guest E.W.

Hello, I only get that message when I turn up the simrate for a while.Erik

Any change in your headwind meaning a stronger one i had done that exact flight and there was strong headwinds you needed to board extra fuel.Just a thought!

Yes - strange things happen when you change the sim rate or pause the sim. The fuel prediction seems to be based on real time, not sim time. It's particularly noticable after you've paused the sim for some time (ie fuel flow rate = 0 ). The FMC then predicts that you'll be able to land with as much fuel in your tanks as you currently have - even if you're 1000 nm from destination. This slowly gets corrected as you fly on at normal sim rate.Ian

Ian Box

Funny you mentioned about fuel consumption and sim rate for I had similar problems but not with the PMDG for I don't use the FMC and fly via manually steering with autopilot (don't ask... I'm just a crazy flightsimmer!:)) I did have fuel IMBALANCE when using the PSS Airbuses and recently, flew the POSKY 747-400 and noticed a fuel imbalance of 10,000 lbs (well above acceptable limits as far as I know). Both times, I was simming at a rate of either 8x (for PSS) or 16X for the POSKY. But I haven't noticed an ACTUAL fuel imbalance in the fuel tanks or fuel running out too soon when running the PMDG 737NG at accelerated sim rates (typicall I use 8X).John