Sign in to follow this  
blacktiger

Strange behaviour just before touch down

Hi folks.I experience follwing problem:On any ILS approach, just at about 500 ft ASL I switch off the autoland and handfly the bird down to the threshold. But just beforetouchdown I got a strange behaviour of the trim and the plane suddenly banks strongly to the right side and also drops heavily on sinkrate. I usually can manage to save the bird from crashing, but I think that there is something wrong.It happens with the 737-700 from PMDG as well as with the 767 from Flight one.I am also running Active Sky, Ultimate Traffic and FS Navigator.I have FSUPIC 3.47 installed (and already tried to fly with a cancelled FSUPI.ini file).Where is the bug? Anyone encountered the same prob?Alex (LSZH)blacktiger@gmx.ch

Guest dt1951

I don't want to sound stupid, but are you too high when you flare? Possibly the plane is stalling too high, which would cause the wing over and the hard touchdown.

No, i am exact on the glidepath. And also the approach speed is well in the parameteres (about 140 kts with full flaps)

Alex,If this happens with both the PMDG NG and the LDS 767 I would strongly suspect piloting error or something amiss in FS2004. Try a default airliner and see if the same thing happens? When you say that your Vref is well within parameters and is about 140, what parameters are you referring to? Having the right Vref as I understand it is crucial with modern airliners. It will probably not do with ballpark figures.Sorry I can't be of more help,

Guest Popart

Just a thought: if you're using ActiveSky 2004.5 be sure to turn of the wake turbulence. It can cause such behaviour.

well, when you flare you are no longer on the glidepath and your speed is probably nowhere near 140 kts. You should not attempt to flare if you are more than 50 ft above ground. Next time do notice what is the exact indicted speed when this strange behavior happens.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Yep. I had the "Wake turbulence" and even the "Increased wake turbulence" option set on on ActiveSky. I now switched it off, and had no more problems above mentioned earlier.Many thanks to all for replying...even to them who doubted about my flying skills....;-)Alex (LSZH)