Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

ENG OUT after Vr

Imagine this: V1 passed, Vr and V2... you are climbing out, and at 50ft you have ENG OUT. So what happens in such situation? Does that mean you are doomed? Is it somehow possible to get out of such situation? No matter what I tried, with 737 or A320, I can't get it to climb out. I put center tank to less fuel, say 70%.To add, I saw a video of A320 climbing out with engine out which happened just after Vr (basically I tried replicating the situation). Captain loaded 16tons of fuel, which was approx. what I had in both aircraft.Anyway, I'm puzzled.

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hi Word Not Allowed,Does that mean you are doomed?No, far from it. Vr is decided to allow an aircraft to reach V2 by 50ft radio alt. You can have an engine failure between V1 and Vr and still be able to lift off and climb out.Here is some info from the AOM:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109605.jpgI'll try later to climb out at max take off weight and see if I can do it.Hope it helps :)DavidP.s. Where did you see this video? Is it available online? If so can you post a link please, I'd like to watch it? Thanks.

What if both engine fails? Ever wonder why most airports in the world has a golf course or flat pieces of land in the close proximaty of the airport perimeters?=)Eien

OK I managed to take-off, though at ZFW of 51 tons and 16 tons of fuel. This is not maximum takeoff weight. And this was A320, still didn't test 737, though I reckon it will be the same.What I did not manage is land :-)Both engines? Well... you better hang tight for some hard landing :-)

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hi Word Not Allowed,Just a note to say I haven't forgotten about this.I've been trying it out in the -600 at MTOW with varying degrees of success. I've been setting up the failure to occur 1 second after V1. The aircraft continues to accelerate through Vr at which point I rotate and then the problems begin. I can get past a 50ft obstacle without problem but there after it is a real struggle to stay airborne. Getting the gear up as soon as practicable is a real help. After that you slowly climb at about 100ft/min which is fine if there are no tall obstructions in the way (read hills) and after an age you finally reach flap retraction altitude and things are pretty simple from there on out.Landing is pretty easy with an engine out, I've found. However the autopilot cannot align correctly with the runway when flying the ILS on one engine. The localiser is around a half to a quarter dot out which converts to landing next to the runway if left to it's own devices. It's simple enough to corrct though once flying manually. I wouldn't want to do a one engine out ILS with the weather at minimums in it due to this. I've seen a video of this, a minimums one engine ILS, and the AP held it as if both motors were still turning. I might try playing with the rudder trim a bit more next time to see if that helps.I'll do some more testing later,DavidP.s. Check your PM