Sign in to follow this  
Guest tomahawk_pa38

Take off Procedure

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Having mastered approaches I am now having problems with take offs. I keep stalling !A/T armedF/D armedOne problem seems to be that the MCP is not changing from the V2 speed to V2 + 20. So I either end up climbing at the speed of light, or I stall because if I hit N1, the speed drops back to V2.Any ideas why this is happening please ?737/600/700

Guest EDCS

Hello,after the FMA change from N1 to armed you have to pitch dowm an following the FD comands to reach the speed set in the MCP (nomaly Flap 1 speed). Then push N1,set speed to clean speed, maybe push LVL CHG, and follow the FD commands. Flaps up at 210. No problems.GreetingsStefan

Guest EDCS

....and what is your GW? On lite GW and To/Ga armed the 600/700 is climbing like a rocket. FD commands you often more than 20

Guest dt1951

Dumb question, but did you left click on the MCP speed button after setting autopilot to on? This should set the MCP speed (which should have been set to V2) to V2+20.Dan

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Dan,No I didn't click the MCP speed switch. There seems to be a lot of different opinions on what to press when, so I'm getting confused. In another thread, someone said that you need to press the N1 switch but I usually press the TOGA switch, pull the nose up following the FD, if I press N1 nothing seems to happen. I'll trying pressing Speed and see what happens.

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey Dave,Dunno if [a href=http://www.ibsw08346pwp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Takeoff.pdf]this[/a] will help you out a bit. I've extracted a few pages from the 737 AOM regarding the standard takeoff. It also includes a section on light GW's.Also another couple of pages that might help are [a href=http://www.ibsw08346pwp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ICAO_takeoff.pdf]here.[/a] These refer to the FMA annuciations you'll see on takeoff.Hope it helps,David

Guest tomahawk_pa38

David,many thanks

Guest dt1951

Hi Dave,Yeah. I am sure there are lots of ways to do this, and it's probably getting a little overwhelming. All I can give you is my procedure and let you decide if it works best for you. I do not go into VNAV mode until I am near my cruise altitude. My procedure is as follows:1. I set my required heading, ALT and Airspeed (V2) prior to leaving the gate. 2. At engine run up for takeoff, set the button for TO (that little screw head). The A/T should have been set to "ON" before entering the active runway.3. After leaving the runway and above 800 feet (AGL) I push the nose over and select AP1 and left click on the MCP speed (this will give you V2+20). Until you change the MCP speed, you will continue to climb at V2+20. Either the clearance controller or the SID should given you your initial ALT at the time they issued your clearance.4. I don't touch the throttle buttons again until I need to do something out of the ordinary, or when I commence my descent into the arrival airport area. When I am out of the immediate airport area, I set my speed to 230 kts. When above 10,000 feet I set it to 290 kts. When I pass above FL210 I change over to Mach number and set it to M0.72 until I reach my cruise altitude. Ensure you retract your flaps at the appropriate speeds. The climb rates will be taken care of for you, and will be automatically adjusted for new airspeed settings. So when you set 230 kts for climbout to 10,000 feet, the nose will drop to pick up speed. As the speed approaches 230 kts, the nose will again rise as the V/S is adjusted to maintain the new airspeed at the controlled throttle setting. The same thing happens when you set 290 kts and M0.72, so not to worry.5. Once at my cruise altitude, I push the VNAV button.Hope this is helpful...Dan

>Hi Dave,>3. After leaving the runway and above 800 feet (AGL) I push>the nose over and select AP1 and left click on the MCP speed>(this will give you V2+20). Until you change the MCP speed,>you will continue to climb at V2+20. Either the clearance>controller or the SID should given you your initial ALT at the>time they issued your clearance.I just tried that and it seems to me that pushing SPEED on the MCP at 800AGL results in A/T speed mode being activated and the FD commanding V2+20, resulting in the thrust being reduced to maintain the selected speed rather than climb thrust. I think (maybe, this is an area of confusion for myself as well) that N1 should be pushed at 800AGL which IIRC will command climb thrust and V2+20 on the F/D. Next time I get a chance I'll test this.-Lee Barberhttp://home.nc.rr.com/uniuniunium/dvasig.jpg

Airport departure procedures and noise abatement procedures also play a role in the speed and thrust you take off and climb at. For example in Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport under normal procedures you must accelerate to 250kts before passing 3000ft AGL (Source : EnRoute Supplement Australia Publication).So check your charts/notams etc. and see what what speed restrictions you might need to follow as wellHope this helped you out a bit moreEien

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Dan,Haven't had chance to try your procedure yet. Why don't you use VNAV until cruise then ? How do you follow complex SID alt restrictions if you are flying manually or do you just insert them as altitudes manually and amend as you go along ?

Guest Zapper

Hi All,May I offer a procedure which you may use for ALL takeoffs regardless of LNAV/HDG or Radar SIDs. It is exactly as we fly it here at Pacific Blue.It is exactly as flown in teh Geezer Guide for PMDG which is available on my webpage (link is below)I would stress that IRL we make maximum use of the AFDS and I commend it to you. Use it to the max (ie at 400') untill you have the procedure down absolutely perfect and then start flying manually.ATB,