Sign in to follow this  
Guest psbusf72984

Climb Rates

Guest psbusf72984

I am having problems maintaining a positive climb speed above FL280, for some odd reason it is darn near impossible to reach altitudes above FL330. If anyone has any advice on how to avoid this problem it would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot...

Ms/mr ThanksalotPlease take a minute to read the forum guidlines pinned near the top of the first page. You are required to sign your posts wiwth your real name. Thank you.You are probably way too heavy for anything over FL280. May I suggest looking over your payload and fuel-load.Hope it helps,

Guest psbusf72984

Mats,I'll take a look at those as I have previously done...thanks for the help and sorry about the name thing...Patrick Brand

Guest psbusf72984

Mats,Seeing is that I am kinda new at this, could you point me to a directory that would give the appropriate fuel and payload numbers per altitude so that I can adjust them accordingly...thanks for all your help...Patrick Brand

Guest cfm56

Hey Patrick,Depending on which version of the 737 you use, another option u have is to increase the thrust rating of your bird. If you check the boeing website, they list the thrust rating for the 800 and 900 as 27,300. However PMDG (following the real world practice) derated the engines to 24,600 which results in your slow climb rates above fl280. If u choose to upgrade by opening up your aircraft.cfg and changing the values you WILL see better climb performance and even more effiecient cruise fuel flow (in the sim cant speak for real life) at n above fl 370 i believe.I upgraded the ratings in my PMDG sim( to 26,400) until I was looking at some pics on airliner.net and saw that many of the 738s on the site were crzing at 90% N1 which implicated that they had their engines rated at 24,600. I said this to say that If your all about realism, upgrading the ratings might not be a choice for you. (then again you dont know which airliners have the higher rating. Gideon

Guest cfm56

Hey fellow simmers a quick question for u, I notice that with the 24,600 rating in PMDG u really cant go that high when using real world weights (PAX + fuel + Bags) On one real 738 flight I was on they were able to go right up to FL330 (with ease too) with full pax and bags weighted at 70lb suitcases times 2 for each pax + plus carry on bags. I sincerley doubt PMDG could do this (and u can forget about trying to reach fl370 using the FMC) though I havent tried. Any Ideas? I think I forhot to mention that it was a 2300nm flight.