Sign in to follow this  
Guest noflyzone

Airbus Request

Hi Melissa,I don't want to go off-track here in the PMDG forum talking about Airbuses and PSS but in the PSS forum, you'll see "updated FDE A330/A340" by Bob Scott. Also, for the A320, search for "Pedro Oliveira" in AVSIM file library - he has come out with 10 versions of the A320-200 FDEs to this date!John

Guest yylie1

Thanks again John. Best regards,Melissa Liew

>I hope that PMDG would>not only model American made planes but also European made>ones as well? I have a rhetorical question - why there are no European sim companies making a sophisticated add-on aircraft? PMDG, PSS, Flight1, Dreamfleet, Aeroworx, CaptainSim all seem to be US-based companies. There is so much European talent in making excellent scenery why no one there makes airplanes? I bet they would get a ton of support from Airbus (specially if they were a French company)PS. I am not sure about Ariane Design - they could be UK based. But clearly they prefer 737 ;-)Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Guest Taylor Dumont

I thought PSS was European based? Maybe i thought wrong ;-(

>I thought PSS was European based? Maybe i thought wrong ;-(No, I think you are correct. My mistake.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Folks:You need to think about this from a company's point of view. I work in sales for a large engine OEM here in the US.Now, if anyone of these software developers came along and said "we're making a Turbine Bonanza and we'd like you to provide us with manuals, drawings, and technical support for the M250-B17F engine," the first thing I would say is, "how's that going to help a customer that's out operating a real M250 engine." I'd have to ask myself if I could look that customer in the eye and tell him that his program is delayed a bit because we're helping these software developers with a computer game.Sorry folks, but companies need to get there priorities straight. Speaking for my company, there's no way I would waste 4 hours of my day digging up schematics etc to just give them to a software developer. There's no return on investment. And don't even go down the "good PR/marketing" road, cause it doesn't amount to a hill of beans.Now, you offer up some money, and it's a different story. Remember? That's why companies are in business; to make money.I side with Airbus on this one, because I'd do exactly what they did.JamesP.S.- And we didn't even touch the tech data Export Laws! (Did you know that the USGov't keeps a tight leash on any technology associated with a FADEC? It ain't leaving the country without tons of paperwork!)

Well James,With that kind of attitude, the only "company's point of view" which will be hurt will be that of Airbus! I did a search on the keyword "airbus" in this forum and found that the official PMDG reason for not doing any Airbuses was because they did not get the degree of cooperation from Airbus that they got from Boeing. It seems that Boeing has more broader set of goals towards the general public then just taking their money and making a profit, whereas Airbus just wants their money!As for security concerns over developing aircraft for PC simulators -let's face it-if proper security, intelligence and management is exercised, terrorists won't be able to even get at the airplanes to hijack them. We are a highly dedicated group of flightsimmers who love aviation and all kinds of aircraft and we are NOT the ones who should suffer for 9/11 or for the greediness and short-sightedness of Airbus Industrie!John

You make number of assumptions that may not necessarily hold universally true. First, if PMDG has their "man" with Boeing it doesn't mean Boeing's work stops or slows while he helps PMDG. He may be doing it on his own time, it may only take him an hour or two if he has right access. Also some companies like French ATR went out of their way to assist Dreamfleet/Flight1 in providing data for their ATR 72-500 simulation. They not only invited them to their French headquarters, showered them with data but also provided ample simulator time, chance to do sound recordings and factory pilots for additional consultation. And all this for free - with ATR's president's handshake to boot. For some reason ATR figured it was a good PR campaign that did not detract from their primary mission - building real ATR airplanes. Also there is no evidence Airbus reluctance has anything to do with lost time or compensation if you read my posts above.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Guys:All I'm suggesting is that a company has prioritze their tasks, and we should not blast Airbus for choosing to not give PMDG assistance.And I was just using my company as an example: there is no way we have enough resources to assist! I admire ATR and Boeing for taking the time. Airbus obviously has other, more important things to work on. Hey, you gotta pick and choose!Yes, I made the assumption that the assistance would not be on personal time, it would be on company time.And finally, technical data is technical. Doesn't matter who's using it for what; if you don't perform your due diligence and you don't comply with export laws it doesn't matter if the user is making a computer simulator or a flying bomb; it'll be your company's butt on the line.Folks, I'm not trying to start a flame war. Just trying to indicate that there is another opinion that happens to be quite reasonable.James

Guest yylie1

Hi there guys! I think you forgot about Wilcopub as well? They have an excellent CRJ and the best FBW aircraft, the A320 PIC was also from them as mentioned a little earlier. I think Wilco is from Belgium and that is besides the point. There is another European company that is as good or if not better than PMDG that is SSW. Remember their A310 package? It is just that their support is not as good as PMDG. They are now comming out with their A320 project. Not sure if that project is still going on but maybe the guys at PMDG could contact them to see where they are getting their AIRBUS information from? How about the NILS ALGREN idea? Anyone tried to contact him?Regards,Melissa Liew

>maybe the guys at PMDG could contact them to see>where they are getting their AIRBUS information from?Melissa,Things don't work this way in this world, if you get your sources you won't share it with anybody else, that's the nature of this competitive environment. To paraphrase Clint Eastwood in one of his westerns: "survival may depend on a mere scrap of information" - well survival here is the competitive edge. Also consider this possibility - those that do get Airbus data may still not get it in detail sufficient for PMDG-like product. In other words it may be good enough for Wilco, PSS or SSW but not for PMDG. It is only a speculation on my part.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2