Sign in to follow this  
Guest wrayer

Navaids - KDTW

Guest wrayer

Last night flying on VATSIM I was trying to land on Rnwy 4R at KDTW. It was an instrument landing due to foul weather - couldn't see 1 mile ahead. I was flying the PMDG 737 NG and had my radio tuned to the ILS approach freq. for KDTW 4R (110.7) - which, by the way, works fine for the default Boeing 737 from MSFS. My ILS would not register an intercept of this frequency. I recieved DME info and rnwy designator, but no action on the glide slope or localizer. I am confused by this. The 737NG reacted to runway 3R ILS (111.5) but not Runway 4R (110.7). Any suggestions would be appreciated. ATC was a bit rattled as was I - in real life I would have diverted to another runway, or airport, but I made a valiant effort to get it down on 4R. Ended up hitting the 'old reset key' embarrasing and not nice for the ATC.Bill

Guest glenb

That is strange. You have the correct frequency (110.7) and that is what is listed on the FAA approach plate and in the NAVDATA file. Are you using AIRAC-0503? Some things are a mystery. Maybe someone can figure this out. I set an airplane on that runway and tuned 110.7 and received the signal.

Guest wrayer

I recieve the response on the runway, but, try backing it out using the slew command and watch that the signal is lost!? It doesn't track the localizer away from the airport. No I have not updated to AIRAC-0503, I will try that next.

Well, I'm glad to know it's not just me ;-) I had the exact same problem the other night with the same Rwy. I assumed I had done something wrong (even though I checked and rechecked the freq).Mike

Guest jettjokk

I too tried the backing out using slew mode and I lost the localizer reception for KDTW 4R around 21 nm away from the DME. Other ILS's at KDTW that have DME showed the same localizer reception ranges. I tried it for 36R at KCVG and the localizer was lost at 27 nm. Maybe the localizers at KDTW have shorter reception ranges. I wonder if there is any way to find out if that is true for KDTW in real life.From working with the BGL SDK instructions, range is a property to be set for an ILS localizer. Microsoft says if it is not set the default is 15,000 meters or about 27 miles.Still if you have a flightplan in the FMC that includes the ILS or RNAV fixes and use LNAV to turn toward the runway, the airplane should be on the localizer path when the localizer is received.By the way due to laziness, I am still using the 0413 AIRAC cycle.DanS

Guest ntsmith

How far do you guys want to fly an auto approach from? Does anyone know if their is a default setting that MS uses for ILS approaches. I thought it varies with certain parameters taken into account, more like real life.BTW even REAL Nav aids go down one in a while. Kind regardsNigel Thomas-Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest glenb

I did a quick test by flying outbound on a LOC and lost GS at apx 22km and the LOC at 27kmI think that is close to real life as well.

Guest wrayer

I get no response from 4R or 21L after less than 1/2 nm I am not looking at anything near 22nm - I would be happy with the 9 nm or 10 nm distance (which is normal!) I do not get that. Tried again last night with 21L and didn't get the LOC until I crossed the threshold and never did get a glide slope. I get it in every other plane I own except the PMDG. I am using airac 305. Not sure what else to do.

Guest wrayer

To all that answered - MYSTERY SOLVEDI was using DTW addon scenery. I uninstalled it and went to Detroit and had no problems with the ILS to all runways. I reinstalled DTW and moved it higher in the scenery list after adding it, and again, no more problems with the ILS to all runways. I hope this works as well online with VATSIM as it did offline. Thanks for all your suggestions. I should have thought of this first.

Guest Knikolaes

**smiles** Are you all using the same addon scenery the original author was? He said he fixed it by moving the scenery up in his priority list in the scenery library.Try that for a fix.