Sign in to follow this  
Guest iforrage

Quick FMC question.

Guest iforrage

Just wondering where the FMC gets it's runway data from, ie ILS freq/designation/heading?

Guest GeoffC

Standard information stored in the permanent navigation database includes the location and other facility information for selected airports, runways, and VHF navaids. Other data that may be stored (at the airline

Guest iforrage

Ok, thanks for that! Great info! Sorry, I shoulda been more specific....lol. I meant in FS. I ask because I have a few airports where the runway designation is wrong, or it doesn't show an ILS when there is. Just wondering if there was a file that I could edit to fix these anomolies.

Guest GeoffC

Sorry I misunderstood your question. The answer in FS is that a regularly updated database for numerous add-ons can be obtained from http://www.navdata.at/ This is also a useful procedures (SID/STAR) site http://flightassist.tripod.com/index.htmIf your problem is that the Nav radio cannot tune or see an ILS that you know is there that's a different problem. I have experienced this myself and do not know the cause. The other day I arrived at a field and the VASI was not there either. Tried it again and it was.

Guest jettjokk

I was trying to find out the other day just where the ILS frequency that appears in the FMC after you select an arrival runway comes from. I may be wrong but I could not find the ILS frequencies anywhere in the AIRAC data you download and install for the PMDG 737's. ILS frequencies were not in the ..Flight Simulator 9PMDGSIDSTARS files nor in any of the files (incl. the wpNavAPT.txt)in the ..FLight Simulator 9FMCWPNAVDATA locations. So I concluded that they are in the default FS9 data.Also you can add a missing ILS with AFCAD.DanS

Guest glenb

The frequency and ID data is in thewpNavAID.txt fileFor Phoenix Sky Harbor KPHX runway 26KPHX 26 ILS/DME CWJ ILSD 33.440823-111.992142111.75IAdd "I" before "CWJ" for the ident "ICWJ" and the last five digits before the "I" at the end "111.75" is the frequency.The frequency is also imbedded in wpNavApt.txt file.That doesn't mean that is where the FMC gets the data but that is where I found it. Only the programmers know where the FMC gets the data.Hope this answers you question.

Guest tmetzinger

>Just wondering where the FMC gets it's runway data from, ie>ILS freq/designation/heading?From the NAVData file included with the product.This file gets updated every 28 days or so, and you can find the updates at http://www.navdata.at.Richard Stefan runs the site, and collects the latest data from public sources, and then parses it into files for various flight sim addons.I believe he accepts donations on his web site - he provides a good service to the flight sim community and I encourage people to donate. I generally donate every year when I renew my real-world chart subscriptions.

Guest Knikolaes

Navdata.at is a wonderful site and works well. However, unfortunately the other site mentioned above has bad linkage on the SID/STAR cycle. 404 error.Either way, SIDs and STARS can be found all the time on both Navdata.at and AVSIM. Try hunting those places and -- if all else fails, follow the tutorial and write the procedures yourself **smiles**I have to admit, I fly both PMDG and Level-D aircraft (when i am in the long haul mood). While I love LD's way of making stars and such right into the FMC, I absolutely even moreso LOVE the fact that PMDG at least HAS an initial set included with it. And the tutorial on the SID/STAR creation for the few airports that are not included is easy to understand, too. :-)

Guest iforrage

Well, you've all been very helpful. I do know about navdat.at, and i am current to cycle 0503. One of my problem airports is KMIA, however. I have the FlyTampa scenery, and even with an updated AFCAD, I still only get 3 runways instead of 4. I wonder why, if it is current AIRAC data, that the new runway and redesignations don't make it into the FMC data? I did search through the wpnavaid file and found the runways, but didn't know what everything meant until now. I'll try to edit it and update here ASAP. Thanks guys!

Guest Knikolaes

Oh wow. I use Fly Tampa's KMIA as well but never noticed that./ I'll have to have a looksie myself.In Navdata.at look in the section for SIDS/STARS -- sometimes people upload their own publications if SIDS and STARS they found missing from the DAFIF database.Just be careful when doing so. I found a copy of KDEN that was user made and uploaded and I thought "Oh wow, a better KDEN" -- installed it and immediately removed it -- I was far better off with DAFIF's KDEN.Chris