Sign in to follow this  
flightsimmer747

Just completed a flight spoilers did not deploy and they were armed

Make sure that:1) they are armed on the pedestal by clicking on the lever (green lights on the main panel)2) your joystick throttle is properly calibrated (idle throttle yields about 20.4% N1)3) prior to touchdown, your throttle is either at idle, or you can additionally press F1 to idle it, or you can also deactivate A/T and pull your throttle back when on finals (is more fun ANYWAY!)

Thanks i'll be doing a flight soon i'll check exactly what you mention, but i think its my throttle i need to probably calibrate again. I also have the reversers idle themselves but its too early so this is causing a problem too.

Guest Buck Bolduc

>Thanks i'll be doing a flight soon i'll check exactly what>you mention, but i think its my throttle i need to probably>calibrate again. I also have the reversers idle themselves but>its too early so this is causing a problem too.Sometimes with my C&H yoke and after clicking Autothrottles off, bringing the yoke throttle straight back does not idle the engins.I have to advance to full quickly and back to idle position. At that point the engines are at idle. I calibrated till I was blue in the face, no dice, just got into the habit of quickly full and back. This works, so be it. I found it easyer and faster to do this than to find F1, which also works.Regards

Guest Knikolaes

Ya know . . . . ?To land and not have your armed spoilers deply is a compliment. Actually nothing may have been wrong. It may mean you just landed so smooth that the spoilers didnt detect the touchdown. That happens all the time not only in simulator aircraft, but in real life as well.Generally the spoilers are set up on a sensor that senses the "plump" of the aircraft hitting the runway. If there is no "plump", there usually is no automatic deploy.So try the approach two ways, using smooth, clear weather to test this so you have a common factor.Make the landing as smooth as you can, then make the same landing again but purposfully cut the power to make sure there is a "plump". I bet those spoilers pop on the plump landing but not on the smooth one.I jump for joy every time I make a landing that smooth, but then again I usually do not notice my spoiler action until I am off the runway stowing everything and notice if the spilers are still armed or not, or when I watch the landing in instant replay (during the actual landing I am usually too busy watching the runway for some odd reason **shrugs**).And your passengers, if you are on an airline flight, are a LOT less stressed the smoother the landing is. I have heard that just the art of the takeoff and landing alone by pilots has brought repeat customers back to an airline.

Guest Knikolaes

OH . . .and on the CH Yoke thing, here is what I do and it works every time with every aircraft I own, both default and payware. . . . When activated, your autothrottle overrides any position that your CH Yoke throttle is in . . . . so when preparing to land I bring the throttle handle back to less than halfway. I never have it idle before deactivationg AT or it will never detact.The trick is to first deactivate AT THEN bring the CH throttle (or other joystick for that matter -- I have had this same issue back when I was settling for a Sidewinder) back to idle. The reason I say less than halfway always when storing the position is when you are coming in for a landing, your engines are usually at a slow setting due to the approach and how slow you are going. If you have the throttle up all the way, FS detacts the original position after disengaging the AT and you get a quick rev of the engines as you throttle down (because FS doesnt like to react as quick as your hands **shrugs**). What that would amount to is a longer flare and more runway used.And for the more experienced pilot, the best position for the throttle is where your AT already has the N1 at. Most pilots get used to where the throttle is positioned for specific N1's.Anyway, try that and see how it works for you. It works for me every time so thought I would share that.<<>>In both posts -- to correct my horrible spelling.

Hi Your posts were interesting i would like to mention that the landing was smooth i had calm winds, of course the 1st time around i had to go around, the engines reved up when my throttle was fully forward and i was running out of runway also i was 2 flap settings behind schedule. I was coming in fast and i knew i would have to go around. 2nd time around i was all set up nose up flap settings were correct and the spoilers did NOT open, like you said very smooth. Of course I had the throttle at the correct setting as well. I love the PMDG for this very reason it handles realistically. With a default plane i probably would of landed anyways.Anyways thanks for your post it was interesting, i still haven't got to fly yet. Its so hard in this busy life to find time even for my local 1 hour flight. :(

Guest Knikolaes

Heheh wish I could say that. Just moived back to my hometown to assist with family members that needed help and found out why I left in the first place -- no job market here. As soon as I can get a co-signer for my loan, going into flight school and my dream is to one day fly the real NG. Also want to certify on the 767, which I fell in love with for medium to long hauls. Just last week I bought the Level D 767 and it made me fall in love with it even moreso. Taking her around the world this week in Air New Zealand's LOTR livery **smiles**Definately, though, if you land that smooth, you are doing a great job and your passengers are VERY happy!

Christophher,>Generally the spoilers are set up on a sensor that senses the "plump" >of the aircraft hitting the runway. If there is no "plump", there >usually is no automatic deploy.I always thought the on-ground sensor sensed the compression of the landing gear strut. Not the plump. And as far as I know there is always compression even if you grease the landing. What am I missing?Cheers,

Guest Knikolaes

I could be wrong, of course. I was just going off information in various sim forums that I have read, so my information could be conjecture. Also I read in a few books that some aircraft have different ratios set in those compression sensors, so if there isnt a certain amount of "force" involved the sensor doesnt detect the landing.I am not a techie though, so I could be wrong. But I have observed the very same thing happening to me a lot in the simulator. Seems like when I roll a smooth landing, the spoilers stay down. This does the same thing to me in the Level D 767 -- if I smooth one out the spoilers dont even detect.It could be just an FS limitation?