Sign in to follow this  
jotafl

Computer System

Hello gang,With the income tax return I am ready to upgrade to a new system. Thinking on a Dell. Anyone out there can suggest me which system is good to run Flight Simulator completely loaded, 737NG, all external views to the max and at least a 25 fps? I want a system that will last me at least 2 years before upgrade is needed again.Will appreciate any feedback.Thanks.JM ;)

Jay Marin

I just helped a friend build a system and it SMOKES - here's the specs (all parts were ordered from www.newegg.com)AeroCool Case550W Rosewill PSUMSI K8N Platinum SLI nForce 4 moboAMD Athlon 64 3500+ Socket 9391GB Corsair XMS PC3200 2-2-2-5 timingsRosewill ATI Radeon X800 XL 256MB videoTwin 74GB Western Digital Raptor HD's in RAID-0NEC 4X DVD-DLThe whole system was around $1400, which is pretty nuts considering this is about as high end as you can get for a reasonable price right now. It scored an 11000 in 3dmark03. Building is definitely the way to go if you know how or have a friend who can show you how.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest bofficer

>Building is definitely the way to go if you know how or have a>friend who can show you how.And if you don't have that friend, any suggestions for a good system?Brian Officer

Thanks for the reply, but as the reply after yours, if you don't have a friend who is good at building, then, any sugestions from Dell or Gateway?Thanks again :)JM

Jay Marin

One word: Alienware. See www.alienware.com Expensive, but here is a very satisfied customer.Greetings Eric

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

JM,I bought a top-of-the line Dell Dimension 8300 a year ago and it has served me very well. FS9 runs without a stutter using PMDG and a reasonable amount of UT, Active Sky, etc.. I know there are a lot of great computers out there - Alienware is one of them - but unless you are REALLY into computers, I don't think you'd go wrong with the high-end Dell system. 'Hope that helps!

Guest Knikolaes

I agree -- BUILD!!!!And as for Dell, sorry I have to badmouth them, but I think they are the hardware version of AOL. My former roommate, me mothert and me Grandmother all have Dells and they do nothing but complain to me about various things. When I try to troubleshoot their systems it is a nightmare. Also that former roommate I mentioned wanted to upgrade to a better Mobo -- so I took a look at some of her hardware and though "no problem"Bought a SWEET Mobo that SHOULD have worked, but found out that Dell's case would not support it at all. None of the power connectors or anything would fit the Mobo. Research into forums and tech sites brought me to the conclusion that the ONLY way you can upgrade a Dell is to buy more parts through Dell. They did that to market their own stuff and to force buyers not to turn to other companies for upgrades.Like I said - hardware version of AOL -- once you get em, everything else is rendered useless.I admit the system me mother has contains decemt specs, a killer flatscreen monitor and good gaming abiloty, but I looked insider her case and same issues would arise if she wanted me to upgrade her system later on. Fortunately all three of the ladies are not major into computers and they will not be needing upgrades -- ever. . . . But for us flight simmers, that is a VERY important aspect of a computer system -- keeping up with the constantly improving demands of the FS world.I build my own system from scratch, and am VERY happy. I also instalkled my own Windows XP Executive Edition, so I have NONE of that buried marketing stuff floating all over my windows. Here are my specs in case you want to compare - FS performs beautifully on this syetm:======================================================================Operating System: Windows XP ExecutiveMotherboard: ABIT IC-7G w/800 FSBSystem Manufacturer: INTELRSystem Model: AWRDACPIBIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PGProcessor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHzMemory: 1024MB RAM - DDR 400 Kingston Hyper-XDirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)Video Card: RADEON 9700 PROManufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.Chip type: RADEON 9700 PRO AGP (0x4E44)Sound Description: Realtek AC97 Audio (this is off my board. It's actually better than Soundblaster and supports my 5.1 surround sound system -- definately better to save from PCI slots being used and IRQ conflicts with your other cards.======================================================================I am not saying do NOT get a Dell, I have heard good things and bad things. Unfortunately mostly bad things. And their own customer support sucks. **shrugs** At least the Warrenties look good.Just my $0.02Chris

Thank you all for the replies and recomendations, I have a lot of information to go through. As for DELL, the only thing I can say is that I have a Dell right now (same computer for 2 years) and it has worked wonderful. I have been able to do minor upgrades (Hard Drives, Sounds Card, and so on), but the speed is getting to be slow for the FS and all the add-ons that I have on them. Especially when running the FS with Virtual ATC through the internet.I will digest all the information given here and try to make up my mind on what to get or do.Again, thanks to all for the responses.JM

Jay Marin