Sign in to follow this  
Guest OPT652

Cost Index

Guest OPT652

Hey all,Looking at all the tutorials, each one has different inputs for the fuel reserves and cost index input on the perf int. page of the FMC, my question is what do I put in these inputs and is it always the same?CheersKevin Meyn

best thing to do is search this forum, much has been discussed on the issue.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Guest OPT652

Alright thanksKevin Meyn

Guest stingray_077

I did a search in the other posts,but there is no "definitive" value that is to be inserted in the FMC.Is it possible to make an Excel form were you will be able to input all the different variables and have the Cost Index calculated?Thank you._______________________________Georgios Arkouzis http://www.ivao.org/data/images/flags/waving/small/GR.gif SX077http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg_______________________________

Guest tmetzinger

>Hey all,>>Looking at all the tutorials, each one has different inputs>for the fuel reserves and cost index input on the perf int.>page of the FMC, my question is what do I put in these inputs>and is it always the same?>>Cheers>>Kevin MeynThe "definitive" cost index is the one that your company adopts by policy.Some operators routinely use one cost index for a particular type of aircraft (Southwest uses 36 for the -700) and this is used all the time, unless the captain alters it due to other factors (like he's behind schedule).Other operators calculate the cost index on a flight-by-flight basis and the crew gets the numbers from the dispatcher.What it comes down to is this: If you want to get there fast - use a high cost index number. If you want to get there and burn less fuel - use a low cost index number.Hmm... I wonder what Ryanair's cost index would be. Given their low labor costs and general "miserliness", it might be down in the teens.

Guest merlin2

stick in around 80/85 your not paying. Howard

Guest stingray_077

Yeah..It's so interesting! I was reading here ( http://www.b737.org.uk/newsreports.htm ) about the different decisions they make about cutting the costs!The seat pockets?!?And no-window shades?I really woundn't fly in the morning with them... :)So now I get it about the CI--Thanks_______________________________Georgios Arkouzis http://www.ivao.org/data/images/flags/waving/small/GR.gif SX077http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg_______________________________

If I recall, there was some confusion as to the CI on the PMDG's product. It seems the manual said one thing, yet the unit would accomodate another (ie. different max values, ect...).Can you give any definitive insight as to exactly what the min and max value is that the PMDG's FMC will take? and... Will these max/min values actually be utilized in the computations? In other words, even thought the unit may allow the max input, does it effect anything? if not, what is the max input that will actually be used in the calculations.p.s. I was one who brought this up before and never did get a clear answer on it. It was implied that it would be addressed with the upgrade package (along with the CDU 'insuficient fuel' with weight-on-wheels - however, not fixed)seems like a simple question for the dev team, maybe they will chime in here.

Guest Boaz

I have some real world numbers if you are interested...For the B767:ANZ: CI 70UAL: CI 35First Choice: CI 60BAW: CI 40-45____________________Qantas;Cost Index 40 for domestic flights (recently changed from CI125 as our new competitor flies slower aircraft)Cost Index 20 for most International plans, however they may be planned up to CI250 to meet schedule/duty limits____________________Aircraft..........ECON...SL1..OT1 B-767-200.........81......54.....243B-767-300.........94......63.....377B-767-300ER....113.....75.....377B-767-400ER....107.....71.....---____________________Well, I won't tell you which airline, but...CI is the acronym for cost index... it may look like CL (but a lowercase L since the site uses a sans serif font).ECON is for minimum cost operationsSL1 is somewhere around two-thirds of the ECON for even better fuel economy when tailwinds or time-ahead-of-schedule allowsOT1 is used for headwinds or when behind scheduleMNF and MRG values are usually 0 for min fuel or max rangeFor Continental's B772's they use a CI of 180.For their B737's that number isn't stated in their operation files so it's dynamic.I have heard that SWA uses a CI of 29.Hope this can give you an Idea of CI, note that for smaller planes like the NG family airlines tend to use a lower count than on long haul flights and long haul jets.Boaz...

thanks, I got a ton of CI analysis and utilization paperwork as used by Alaska Airlines for their fleet.However, I am still trying to nail down either the PMDG developers and/or a knowledgable in-depth user (...cough cough TIM) to help me bring this to a close regarding this actual product and how the CI interacts via max and mins.

bump...for the dev group

bump from page 4 :)

Guest canyonblue737

SWA cost index for 737-700 is 36.Fuel number for us is 5.0 OR if higher the total of reserve fuel + alternate fuel.

yes, thanks for that. I also have the CI's utilized on the real world Alaska Airlines flights (at least the guide and the range that they use at the Seattle dispatch center).... still looking to see how it is implemented here in this PMDG sim. ie. min/max that are actually used in the calc vs what you can actually type into the CDU.