Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bpilot

Where is the database???

Guest Bpilot

Help, please, fellow Captains:I had to reinstall FS9 because of a problem with a scenery. The Uninstall/reinstall process was quite smooth and FS9 worked just as before. I did not touch any of the PMGD files.However, the FMC is in serious trouble:It does not recognize any of the saved flight plans;It does not recognize any airport, waypoint or fix.I have the impression that the database is somehow lost. I updated the SID/STARS, but still nothing functions.What could I do? Where are the FMC files?Thanks. I'm getting tired of watching TV...BPilot

Guest dt1951

Hi Sergio,I have had to re-install my FS9 a few times myself. A joy, isn't it... I learned a long time ago (FS5.1 days) to not only uninstall FS, but to completely remove it from my hard drive. Yes, that's right, delete the entire FS9 folder. Then I re-install FS9. This way I know I am getting a clean version of FS to run with. Uninstall and re-install just removes, then adds them to your registry. The files still exist. If one of them is corrupted, it may still remain as corrupted. It is a pain to reinstall all of my addons, but I have them organized to make that process easier. Some people move their addon folders another location prior to deleting the FS folder. However, I want a clean FS9 so I delete them all and install fresh.Hope this helps...Dan

I've been thinking of un-installing FS9 for sometime. I've never done this before, so im not sure what to expect. Does it remove just the files installed by MSFS and leave all the add-ons and files modified through add-ons? I don't want to find out that i've lost something that i may not be able to replace. I think i've got most backed up, but files are here, there and everywhere.Can you give any advice?Thanks

Alaister Kay

SergioSounds like you have lost your flightplans and your navaid database.The flightplans should be located in the folder %FS_root%PMDGFLIGHTPLANS and the navdata should be found in the following folder %FS_root%FMCWPNAVDATA. You should also check your terminal procedures files. They should be located in the %FS_root%PMDGSIDSTARS folder.The navdata can be reinstalled. Go get it from www.navdata.at and reinstall as directed. As for your saved flightplans I'm sorry to say they are probably lost.Reinstalling FS9 almost always means reinstalling all add-ons to FS9.Hope it helps,

Guest dt1951

Hi Alaister,With the advent of plug and play for everything going on your PC these days it's easy just to hit the "OK" or "YES" button in response to intallation programs and then forget about what you have done. As a person in the software field I learned long ago to document what I have installed, taking notes on configurations, etc., so that I can back track when FS starts to misbehave. It would be a good idea for everyone to take notes, and organize what you have downloaded and installed. That way, when things go wrong (and they will!), you can recover much faster. You will know everything that you have installed, where it is, and what you need to do during installation (including things like having to replace the FSUIPC that some intallers automatically install over your more current version.Dan Ward

Guest Philip Olson

Well I have become somewhat of an expert on this since I am right now in the process of reinstalling all of my add-ons after having to uninstall FS9. Pretty much you do have to reinstall most add-ons to make sure that everything is clean and you are not bringing old problems back into your new install. Here is the process I go through, some of it is rendundant but it works for me. First I make a copy of my entire FS9 folder on another hard drive, all 20 plus gigabytes of it, this way I have a way of finding that add-on that I forgot about. Then I go through the add/remove programs list and uninstall all of the flight sim related files and programs, writing them down as I go so I have a list of them. If a program or file is a payware add-on I check to make sure I have the original install file and whatever documentation, receipts, etc. that I will need to reinstall it later, if I am missing something I go to their website right then to see what I have to do to get it taken care of. Once I am done with the add/remove programs list I look through the start/programs menu for other uninstall routines and write them down and uninstall them as well. At this point I will look through what remains of my aircraft, add-on scenery, and other folders to see what else I need and jot it down, once I am satisfied that I have most everything I will check my back-ups, I have many of my add-ons install files backed up to CD's so I don't have to redownload everything in case I have to reinstall FS, whatever I don't have backed up I will download. I make one final check and then uninstall FS, delete the remaing files, restart the computer, run defrag, restart the computer and then reinstall FS and start putting the add-ons back. At some point I will defrag again after most of the add-ons are installed. I admit this is a time consuming project but at least all of the files that are going on the computer are "clean" and you are not inheriting any old problems. I keep that backup of my entire old FS9 folder for at least a few weeks so if I find something is missing I can look through the old folder to find what I am looking for. I try to keep all of the read me files that come with the add-ons with the files that are installed into FS so that way it is easier to find the name of an add-on when you need it again in the future. I realize that with many add-ons you can just copy the files back into FS after a reinstall but I don't like taking any chances and have to go through it all again, start all new and you will be much happier.Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Cheers for that, that is the sort of thing I am planning on doing. I have started making back-ups of my most important files, just need to trace a few more somewhere on my system :-)

Alaister Kay

Guest Philip Olson

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, do not forget about the files that are located in the C:Documents and Settings*your user name*Application DataMicrosoftFS9 folder! After you uninstall FS9 some of these files will remain on your hard drive including the state files for your aircraft, make sure you get rid of them before you reinstall everything. You may also want to back up this folder, or at least the FS9.cfg file along with the rest of the FS9 folder so you can look back at the cfg file and use any of the tweaks you may have previously used. You know, it really hits home when you do a reinstall as to just how much time you actually spend over the years adding stuff on to FS and tweaking it for the best performance! To me it is worth every hour!Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest Bpilot

Philip,Thanks for all the details. I will try and revert, hopefully with good news...By the way, I think that the PMGD staff could pin a full Uninstall / Reinstall for all the members in this forum. There is a lot of interest...BPilot

Guest Knikolaes

At least I give PMDG Kudos. All of their installers are VERY quick and easy, so reinstalling them is nice and easy.Reinstalling those bloody Flight 1 addons though . . . . . . it's terrible when you do not have internet access full time. LOL.My cheers and gratitude to PMDG for making those installers so easy for problems exactly like this one.