Sign in to follow this  
Guest grantday

Beech 1900C - Icing

Guest grantday

Is there any anti-icing or de-icing on the 1900C? I did a flight yesterday in icing conditions and it seemed to collect ice (bad performance). I had the pitot and engine anti-ice on.

Guest davidvoogd

When you have the engine ice on the boots take compressed air from the engine, meaning less power for the props, so you should only use it for a minute at a time or so from my understanding. Either way with engine anti ice on you do lose quite a bit of power.

Guest bobby_c46

Hey guys,Real World Beech King Air 200 Pilot here. The 1900 and the 200 share similar systems for ICE PROTECTION. So if I may, please allow me to shed some insight into what you've been experiencing in the sim.PNEUMATIC (Compressed Air) BOOTS are only equipped on the wing and tail surfaces of the aircraft. These boots use bleed air all the time the bleed valves are open. They use the compressed air to inflate the boots while in use, and vacuum pressure to hold the boots tight to the wings when not inflated. The only performance chanages you may notice is a slight "flick" of the needles on the SUCTION and PNEUMATIC PRESSURE gauges as the boots cycle.Engine air inlets use hot exhaust air to protect them from ice. Hot exhaust air is ducted from a special scoop in the exhaust stack on one side of the engine, around the inside of the intake lip, and exhausted through a scoop in the exhaust stack on the opposite side. This is so NO ICE is allowed to accumulate on the lips of the intake. If the ice was allow to build up, and be shead by the boots, it would mean large pieces of ice travelling into the intake and possibly damaging the engine.Now, for the performance loss...The 1900 uses a system to protect the engine itself from ice called an "INTERTIAL SEPARATOR" (called.. ICE VANES or sometimes called a SNOW DOOR). When the system is turned on, a deflector plate inside the intake scoop lowers part way. And a door at the back of the intake scoup behind the engine opens.Here's how it works...The deflector plate causes the snow / rain / ice particles to travel to the bottom of the intake stream. When the air makes the 90 degree turn to go up into the intake, the heavy particles now at the bottom of the stream carry on down the intake duct and flow out the door at the back and out of the nacelle.The performance loss comes when the ice vanes open. This is because some of the airflow into the intake duct is lost through the discharge door at the back. The engine therefore gets less air, which means TORQUE DECREASES, and ITT INCREASES. Lower torque means less power and therefore less performance.In our companies Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), the ICE VANCES are EXTENDED for GROUND OPS on GRAVEL, to prevent foreign object injestion.Before they are brought back up after takeoff, the Non-Flying Pilot will say "Ice vances are coming in" because the aircraft is at near maximum power and the torque increase as the ice vanes are retracting could lead to an OVERTORQUE.Sorry for the long-winded reply... ;) Hope this helps answer your questions.PS> I'll post some pictures soon of the scoups inside the exhaust stacks for you to see.

Guest grantday

Thank you for the info. I understand when the engine anti-ice is on there will be a performance decrease due to the torque decrease - I guess I should have asked: In icing conditions, is the 1900C accumulating ice on the wings because there is no boots or wing anti-ice? Am I losing additional performance because of the ice build up on the wings? When the engine anti-ice or pitot heat is on, does FS2004 see this as a de or anti ice situation?