Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Unable to set flap speeds in PFD for approach

I have several saved situations involving approaches at 3000' or so into the destination airport. All works fine, but I am unable to get any flap speeds set into the PFD speed tape (left side) after filling in the appropriate fields of the various screens of the FMC. It seems I need to start a flight from the ground up and then the flap settings will appear for the approach phase.I am doing this exercise without an FMC flightplan loaded. It's just approach practice.Are the flap speeds supposed to appear in such circumstances as I describe above ?Thanks!Jonathan

Guest canyonblue737

if you are in the INIT REF page select the flap setting you want, for example 30 and bring it into the area next to i believe the 5R key. then set the speed window to your target speed, assuming no wind a good starting point is vref+5. you should see the following bugs on the speed tape or MASI... UP, white bug at vref+15, magenta bug at target speed, a R at Vref. There will not be any additional bugs UNTIL you begin to extend flaps when it will add bugs for the next flap manuevering speed. For example when you go from 0 to 5 flaps you will seed bugs appear for 1, 5 and 15. this will continue until your flap maunevering speeds are within vref+5 and then i believe it will not show any further bugs.

OK, CB, I shall try as you say and report back.Thanks.Jonathan

Guest canyonblue737

>>OK, CB, I shall try as you say and report back.>>Thanks.>>JonathanPS: you may have to input the weight of the aircraft into the FMC first as what I described at a minimum needs to have an accurate weight calculation (as all v-speeds are dependent on.) i'll try your scenario when i get a chance tommorow myself when i have a chance, but suffice it to say most of my flying is in the real deal where we don't skip the takeoff part ;-)