Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Music

Beech 1900C needs better performance textures

I love the new Beech 1900C. I'm having a blast flying it around. I wish PMDG would consider offering DXT3 textures for the model. The textures currently offered are cumbersome and cause pauses when loading in spot view or wing views. I've tried converting them to DXT3 textures and it does help. Both Level D Simulations and Dreamfleet offer the options of lighter DXT3 textures or heavier ones. I want smoothness and performance, I don't like the pauses when textures load.My rig is a P4 3.2 ghz 1 gig ram and Radeon X800 Pro 256 gb ram Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Guest plncrzymikey

noticed the same thing. seems the default PMDG liveries use compacted textures where the add-on liveries don't. best thing to do IMHO is to look for the 4MB texture files on the repaints and convert those to DXT3..am going to do that myself and see what happens. Mikey

Guest EC0101

converting RAW BMP's (4MB) to DXT3 (1MB) will always give you better performance. it'll reduce, if not eliminate the glitching as you change views.are they gonna come out with a paintkit? or am i just not seeing it?

Yep, DXT textures will give you better performance, but you lose a little quality, so it is up to you. Takes 2 seconds to convert them your self with DXTBMP.I was looking for a paintkit also Since I only fly VA colors. That was the one thing I hated about the D model, took FOREVER to release a paintkit, can't figure that one out.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest plncrzymikey

if you want the addon textures to match the PMDG livery as far as quality/filesize goes, there are 5 texture files in each add-on texture folder to convert.these are:1)PMDG_1900c_Tail_T2)PMDG_1900c_fuse_t3)PMDG_1900_wing_t4)PMDG_1900_engines_t5)PMDG_1900_Elevator_TI converted these to DXT3, and left the rest alone.I matched all files in the add-on texture folders to those in the default texture folder, with the goal of making the all the file sizes match up. it is possible that there are more that can be reduced, but my goal was to make the add-ons the same as the default.Mikey

Guest EC0101

oh...one little thing that we forgot to mention, ensure you have "Mips" disabled, or you'll get those blurry images.Michael...WHAT?! I have like 3 days before the introductory offer is gone. I too only fly my VA liveries. I always wondered why paintkits take longer to release than livery paints. I mean, don't they use a paintkit to make their release liveries?

Guest edwardpat2004

Not only that!. I was flying from KDTW to Toronto Pearson and the Page File usage was close to 1,98 GB which is way too high. I got a FS crash. I would like PMDG to suggest PF usage, maybe is likely there are memory leaks.Edward

Guest EC0101

heh...Pagefile size....it would be difficult for PMDG to determine what pagefile size for you to use...as each system is very different. "rule of thumb" has been 2 to 3 times larger than physical ram present. but...you have to remember that this "rule of thumb" was back in the days when 512MB of system ram (or more) wasn't heard of.my pagefile is set to 1024 min/max. i've never gotten a pagefile is too small error. and i have FS, image editor and various other applications running at the same time.memory leak was addressed with FS 9.1 update. had to do with scenery textures.b1900c is actually a "lite" aircraft, compared to the likes of their 737NG birds.