Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

downloaded patches

I have just joined the avsim.com community (which I'm very impressed with), and have just downloaded my first patches. I am also new to winzip, and my question is this: Should my downloads, after being unzipped, appear in my MSFS98 folder? Mine are in a folder called "unziped"; there is no mention of them in my MSFS98 folder. Since I am also new to MSFS98, I can't tell if MSFS98 has incorperated the new files. They are mostly scenery files of Alaska, which I got to visit last summer, and I really want to have the best rendering possible of that wonderful place to visit. I'd appreciate a short note from someone to tell me about this. Thanks, ebmisfit

Guest JonP01

ebmisfit,There is no yes or no answer to your question about unzipping files. Where a compressed file unzips to depends on how they were compressed in the first place. In some instances, the files will unzip to specified folders, in other cases they can unzip to a directory you specify, and in other cases they will unzip to a default temporary directory (which appears to be the case with your present downloads). With winzip, the person packaging the files in the first place can set these options.It is a generally accepted practice that zipped downloads allow the user to unzip to a temporary folder (either a default folder or one of the user's choice), and that the user then manually copy or move the files from this folder into the correct folders. I think most people, including myself, would feel a little uncomfortable having files unzip directly into their FS application - they usually like to take a look at them first.In nearly all cases (and I'm sure in the case of Avsim it IS in all cases), your download will contain a "readme" file that provides instructions as to how to install the donwloaded product. These instructions should clearly specify exactly what files you need to copy where, and anything else you might need to do to get the add-on to function correctly. I'm not really familiar with the workings of FS98 scenery files, so I suggest looking for this readme file in the the folder to which you unzipped the files.Incidentally, if you are running Win ME or later, there is an inbuilt function to uncompress files, so you don't need to use winzip for uncompressing files if you don't wish to.