Sign in to follow this  
Guest OPT652

Video Card

Guest OPT652

Hello all,The time has come to really enjoy all of my pay ware aircraft. I am going to buy a BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC 256MB GDDR3 AGP Graphics Card. Before I make the final decision, I want to ask you 737NG drivers, how much of an improvement I will get with this card? Because right now all the computer will allow me to do is operate in 2D panel. If i even go to virtual cockpit im down to 5fps. Any advice will help. Oh and I have 768MB of Ram so im good thereThanks allKevin

Guest aarskringspier

What are the rest of your specs. You definatley want to make sure of two things.Your PSU can handle the new card, and that there will be no bottle necks. Meaning, if you have a 1 ghz machine with 256 mb's of memory your card wont be of any benefit. I doubt this is the case but thought Id throw it out there. I absolutley love my ultra.

Guest Michael_H

I would agree with Randy re the CPU... One gig of memory woudld be better. A fast hard drive - clean, and defragged every couple of weeks.I'm using the BFG 6600 GT and it is a really sweet card.P4 @ 3 gig.1024 mb pc3200 mem.

Guest OPT652

Here are the specs.Pentium 4 CPU 1.90 GHZ768MB of RAM 128MB GeForce 5 series(This card sucks)So how about if I get 1GB of RAM and go with a different card such as the GeForce 6600 GT OC 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics card?Finally, is it worth it to spend the money for the 256MB 6800GT or should I just buy say the 6600GT but with 1GB of RAM?thanks for answering my questions I really need some help before buying.Kevin

Guest aarskringspier

Can your mainboard take a PCIe card? It may take a PCI, but PCIe is a whole different beast.

You're not going to see much of a difference without upgrading your CPU and memory as well. The graphics card (esp in a game that doesn't use shaders like FS) the video card can only put out as much as the CPU can send it. You'd be better off replacing the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and video all at the same time. (nForce 4, Athlon 64, Radeon X800XL is what I'd do at the moment)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest meyomyx

I'd second that.I have used different spec machines in this regard and FS9 with the NG needs processing speed as much as it does graphics card speed. I'd be cautious - you may see little improvement with just going for this card.As I recall, the GT needs TWO PSU power leads (plus the power it gets from the slot) so you need to make sure you have a 400 - 600w PSU.

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Kev,I go with the rest - spend your money on RAM first. I upgraded my graphics card to a FX5400LE (256mb) - no difference at all over the previous 64mb until I increased my RAM to 1 gb.

Indeed check if your mobo can take PCI-E first. There IS a GF6600GT card out there using AGP-8X, it's made by XFX.I have that card and it rocks.Get that and some more RAM, I'd say go up to a GB, maybe more. CPU can wait but if you have the money up that to to the highest your mobo can support.

I just upgraded from a 9800pro OCed to a Gainward GF6800 GT GS, and I must say initially I was very disappointed as the fps didnt really improve.After a couple of days of poor overclocking and freezing, I realised that a card like this needs a serious power supply to overclock properly, even my 450W PSU was not acceptable.Temporarily I disconnected all the fat, ie CDROM, case fans, lowered OCed voltages on the motherboard, and hey presto! I am running this card at 425/1200 which is well into 6800 ULTRA territory! Ran a 20 times loop test in 3dmark03, lasting 90 minutes, with an average score of 13250 over 20 runs!!!My tip is only upgrade your gfx card if the rest of your system can deal with it... Personally I would purchase a brand new system and put the 6800GT in there! For me , my 600W PSU is in the post! All the best.Armen at EGLLP4 3.2 @ 3.6 , 1 gig Corsair PC3700, Gainward GF6800GT GS @ 425/1200

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Seems you're stuck with either an older (AGP-4X) card or with a newer AGP-8X card running at less than full potential (but probably still faster than an AGP-4X card).http://www.xfxforce.co.uk/product_view.php?sku=PVT43AND this is the card I use, and I'm happy with it. Does require 1 additional power supply in addition to the supply through the bus.

Guest Knikolaes

I just bought a 9800 -- all I can say is bloody wow!

Guest OPT652

What are your specs cause I just bought a 256MB ATI Radeon X800XLLEt me knowKEvin

Guest Knikolaes

Uhm, if it is me you are asking . . . . ABIT IC7-G motherboard with HT support and 800 FSBPentium 4 3.0 GHz with 800 FSB and HT enabled.1 GB of DDR 400 memory dual channeled -- Mobo is capable of 4 Gigs and that is going to be my next upgrade . . .. The NVidea I mentioned aboveNo sound card -- the sound on the mobo is bloody sweet and not having a sound card MAY may the processor work a bit harder, but no conflictes with video card on IRQ's causing crashes :-)Uhm . . . what else? Oh yeah -- 500 Watt PS . . . . 500 GBs of SATA (2 250GB hard drives) . . . . 200 of those GB's are dedicated to my FS partition. Right now my FS is 180 GB's large. Even on this system it takes I think about 5 minutes for FS to boot up, but worth it when i get in there. Have just a few payware addons in the and wont even go into the freeware amounts LOL.I think that's it.