Sign in to follow this  
Guest ZOTAN

New Computer

Guest ZOTAN

Well the time has finally come for me to start building my new computer. I really dont want to shell out 1200 dollars at once though so I am planning on first buying a new case, transferring everything from my old computer into the new case, and then replace all of the components over the next few months. Does this seem like a good idea to you guys or would it be better to do it all at once? Also what components would you reccomend so that my 737 and eventually 747 from PMDG run smooth?Thanks,Matt

Guest meyomyx

Problem with that is you'll end up being slowed up by the worst component. Have a look at the thread above ref graphics cards.If you get a fast mainboard/processor and fit your old slow graphics card, you'll still have poor performance.You'd just as well do it all at once. Just go as fast as you can afford with everything. Athlon 64 3gB+, 1gB memory, summink like an nVidia 6800 with 256k...... and once again, if you'r going to do this, get a case with a 400w+ PSU - a 200w one will just not do.:-)

Get an nForce 4 based motherboard (the MSI and DFI brands are good), a Socket 939 Athlon 64, 1GB of memory, and either a GeForce 6800GT or a Radeon X800XL.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

>Problem with that is you'll end up being slowed up by the>worst component. Have a look at the thread above ref graphics>cards.>>If you get a fast mainboard/processor and fit your old slow>graphics card, you'll still have poor performance.>>You'd just as well do it all at once. Just go as fast as you>can afford with everything. Athlon 64 3gB+, 1gB memory,>summink like an nVidia 6800 with 256k>>...... and once again, if you'r going to do this, get a case>with a 400w+ PSU - a 200w one will just not do.>>:-)Athlon 64 3gB+ ; nVidia 6800 with 256k?????

Guest meyomyx

... admittedly, that amount of onboard memory wouldn't realize stunning fluid video quality graphics!Hehe. Coulours are vibrant mind you - all two of them :)

Guest btclarke

I have just finished building a new PC from scratch. It is:AMD Athlon 64 FX-551Gb Kingston DDR400 (2 paired 512mb DIMMS - another 1Gb on order)Asus nForce4 SLI MotherboardDual Geforce 6800GT 256mb in SLI mode (although it's debatable as to what gains are made in FS by this arrangement)20" LG LCD screen in 1600x12001 x 74Gb WD Raptor 10k rpm boot drive2 x 74Gb in Striped Raid array for FS1 x 120Gb WD SATA for general storageShe runs sweetly, at times in excess of 80fps at 1600x1200 with most settings maxed, plenty of AI traffic and some customised scenery...CheersBryan