Sign in to follow this  
Guest air miles

Favourite Approach Scenarios

Guest air miles

Hi there... Idea for a new threadHow about us virtual flyers posting our personal favourite and challenging approaches/scenarios (offset ILS's/challenging terrain/ good scenery etc..)That way others can try them and decide whether the person posting them is a a cool flying man or a nervous flying mouse!One of my personal favourites still has to be a hand flown visual approach with my PMDG737 into RWY13 at VHHX (Hong Kong Intl.Old) sadly no navaids anymore.The NDB's still work tho', and VHHX is still in the FMC database. With a 1 mile RWY EXT point and the ADF it's still fun and difficult.Also I have found that flying around in this part of the world (asia) the FMC RWY headings seem to better match the MSFS ILS database. Unlike Europe where it is always about 2 degrees out using the current AIRAC.Regards to allJonPS.. How can I get Condoleeza Rice's face out of my cockpit?She is the last person I would want to fly me anywhere!!!!!HaHa

Handflown ANDES2 arrival into Santiago de Chile in clouds at night comes to mind.Any aircraft will do, but an old heavy like a 747-200 (RFP of course) is best. Feel the mountains on all sides (except directly overhead).

Guest thscholz

Jon,try the LOC DME WEST approach at LOWI:LOCALIZER DME WEST (LOC DME WEST)Do only execute this thrilling approach if you are familiarwith the procedure, the airport of Innsbruck and youraircraft!All STARS from West end at the KTI holding, altitude 13000feet.Enter the KTI holding and descend within the holding to11500 feet. Leave the holding on course 104 until DME 20,0OEJ localizer. Start descending on the localizer, interceptLOC between DME 20,0 OEJ and DME 17,0 OEJ.At RUM (DME 6,0 OEJ) stop descending at altitude 5000 feetand continue to Absam NDB. There continue visually.VISUAL PROCEDURE LOC DME WESTWhen proper visual reference is established, make right turnwith max radius 0,9nm (eg 159kt IAS with 25

Guest vas_yan

LGSM rwy 9, and takeoff from same runway without busting Turkish FIR.

Guest air miles

LOWI is already one of my favouritesI'll try your approach scenarioThanksJonGCLP

Try Aspen's (KASE) offset ILS approach. You could probably try to shoot it with the 600 but I wouldn't recommend it. Heaviest thing they got there is a BAE 146 flying in everyday from Denver for United Express. In winter time it's one of the most beautiful and exciting approaches there is. Done it several times in real life. As a passenger, that is. ;) Another interesting approach is Rio de Janeiro's visual RWY 20L or 02R circling to land. It's a daily procedure over here but all captains atempting it have to undergo a speacial course and pass it. FO's cannot even try. Boeing test pilots attempting to certify the 737 to operate at this airport took some 10 attempts before actually landing (true story). If you buy Wonderful Rio scenery available from Real Flight and ask me to send the approach plates, you'll understand why. BTW did I mention that the Rwy is 4000 ft long and that there is a big 1500 ft rock 2NM right in front of Ryws 20? It sures makes for a challenging downwind, base and final.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

Guest forever_49ers

try PHNL ( Honolulu International ) LDA / DME RWY 26Lalso check out dangerousaiports.com a neat little site for some freaky approachesin my opinion LOWI is the best one though, next to Kai TakSteve

I know this is not difficult as in the class of some of the others, but I love to fly the Visual 13L at KJFK. Coming over ASALT and Canarsie and making sure that I am lined up exactly on the center line of 13L I find fun flying..Just my 0.02c

Try St Barts or Saba in anything much larger than a Twin Otter ;)

Guest dobova

I suggest also to try LICR - Reggio Calabria airport. Very windy, loc approach on 017

Guest HepburnUGA

Well, I can't believe nobody has mentioned the River Visual to Runway 19 at DCA. Best one I have ever seen in real-life too!

Alicante (LEAL) from the northeast is also interesting.Not particularly hard except a large hill prevents you from seeing the airport when you start your turn to final :)

Guest forever_49ers

if you wanna work your yoke for an approach try :Nice - Cote D'Azur France (LFMN) VOR/DME Rwy 22Rcharts can be found on navdata.at - charts - france. The links are in French but the words are not that far off from the English to get around.Steve

This is an easy one!The most challenging I have flown are: 1. The Expressway Visual rwy 31 at KLGA-simply the hardest approach I have tried in the US. You have to turn right 085 at 2500 feet at the outer marker, then descend to 1000 feet passing Shea Stadium then turn left to final heading 310 degrees while descending the whole time! Wow Wow Wow-its hard to do but satisfying when you get it down. 2. The VOR 13L OR 13R at KJFK. Although FS9 lacks the real world two sets of lead in lights along the belt parkway, descending past ASALT at 3000 then descending to 1500 feet crossing the CRI VOR, then turning 041 outbound over CRI, then a descending right hand turn to the 13L or 13R will challenge you. Great fun and difficult to get right. 3. Next comes the River visual rwy 13 at KLGA. You fly near or over the Verrazano bridge, overfly the statue of liberty at 4000 feet and fly up the hudson river. You descend to 3000 feet prior to a 90 degree right turn to final for rwy 13. Manhattan at night is awesome and hand flying past the bridge makes this great fun. 4. The aforementioned Rwy 19 river visual or LDA 19 at KDCA is one of the most challenging to fly, period. You intercept the rwy 19 localizer and fly the 147 inbound to 4 DME, then turn left while descending and fly a snaky route along the Potomac river, while turning a hard right turn at 300 feet to final. AT least the patched FS9 has all the bridges. Very tough! 5. Any of the non precision approaches to KRNO. These still are very hard for me to try because the mountains are so close and so high! Throw in a back course DME approach at night and it gets very hard to do. What I am amazed at is that so few pilots on VATSIM will try any of these approaches. If given the opportunity, they will, 99% of the time request an ILS for the same runway if they offer one. I don't think I have ever heard another guy on VATSIM try the expressway visual 31 at KLGA. These things are really challenging and you really feel GREAT when you get them down. I just wish more guys would give em a go!Cheers...........Joe Swier

Guest air miles

The response on this has been great.I sometimes spend more time sitting in front of the PC (thinking about where to fly to/from) than the actual flight takes to set up & complete...Now when I don't know where to take my 737 I can try out some of your experiences.Keep 'em comingJonPS...... Nobody answered the Condoleeza Rice question ??????