Sign in to follow this  
Guest Raymond

How do you use PMDG?

Guest Raymond

I recently purchased PMDG's 737 900 and installed same. I use the 737's the same way I use all my other aircraft. That is, I develop a flight plan in FS9 and then fly it with the 737. While I think the PMDG's 737 is a nice little add-on, I do not quite understand why several of my forum friends indicate that the 737 is the best ever. What am I missing? I personally think RFP's 747 is the best.

RFP is indeed brilliant, and so is the PMDG 737.But you're using neither to its full potential, which only comes into play when you're doing full systems management on them (startup, flight planning, etc. etc. including flying the aircraft to the full use of their systems (so using the INS instead of GPS track in the RFP)).When not using that indeed the 737 seems little more than a very good looking aircraft and panel but every other payware aircraft worth its money would be similar as the differences between them are all in the way those details are modelled and how closely they resemble real aircraft operation.

Guest stingray_077

Hi there Raymond.Well,first of all it would be a great idea to read the manuals first,so that you can understand the complexity of it."A nice little addon" does no justice to the 737NG,as it simulates at great extent the different systems of the real aircraft.And as you can see by skimming through this forum,it's also a very intuitive add-on,as you can get lot's of knowledge from it,or apply real life knowledge and procedures to it.But like I told you in the beginning,it all starts with the manual.If you don't go through it, you won't be able to really evaluate it and enjoy it.Good luck_______________________________Georgios Arkouzis http://www.ivao.org/data/images/flags/waving/small/GR.gif SX077http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg_______________________________

Guest GeoffC

>I recently purchased PMDG's 737 900 and installed same. I use>the 737's the same way I use all my other aircraft. That is,>I develop a flight plan in FS9 and then fly it with the 737.>While I think the PMDG's 737 is a nice little add-on, I do not>quite understand why several of my forum friends indicate that>the 737 is the best ever. What am I missing? I personally>think RFP's 747 is the best.Why did you buy it if it's nothing more than a "nice little addon". That's like saying the Spitfire was a handy little addition for the RAF in 1940. Seriously though its a lot of money if you didn't know what you would be getting.

Guest Raymond

>Hi there Raymond.Well,first of all it would be a great idea>to read the manuals first,so that you can understand the>complexity of it."A nice little addon" does no justice to the>737NG,as it simulates at great extent the different systems of>the real aircraft.And as you can see by skimming through this>forum,it's also a very intuitive add-on,as you can get lot's>of knowledge from it,or apply real life knowledge and>procedures to it.But like I told you in the beginning,it all>starts with the manual.If you don't go through it, you won't>be able to really evaluate it and enjoy it.>>Good luck>>_______________________________>Georgios Arkouzis>http://www.ivao.org/data/images/flags/waving/small/GR.gif>SX077>http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg>_______________________________Well Georgios, thank you for your reply. Is the manual of which you speak the "Automatic flight management sytem". That is the only one I can locate.

Guest Zapper

Don't want to jump and down and flap my arms about, BUT:I cannot praise the PMDG 737NG highly enough. It is so good I use it to train both myself and other real world Boeing pilots.To consign it to teh 'nice little add-on' crowd kinda gets my dander up a bit there pardner :DIf you want to see just how good it is then give me a yell on MSN or try my or Tims tutorial.All the Best and in no way am I having a go at you mate!

Guest aarskringspier

The thing I find the best about it is the fact that it has such a steep learning curve. It engages the noggin as much as the rest of the senses. Zapper, I will definatley take you up on the offer some Saturday night when you are on and rummage around in your brain. Anything to make me a better virtual pilot and understand the system better would be great.

Guest Zapper

Randy it still surprises me on occasion!Yesterday I found out that if you arm the EXIT HOLD function before you have started outbound then it does a 360 and goes back to the holding fix without finishing the holding pattern!Just goes to show eh? :-lolATB,

Hi Raymond,Obviously the 747-200 is just that ... a big OLD (great though) aircraft ... the RFP package is excellent, and you will find no better modeling of the 747-200 than the RFP .. and the Doc is excellent ... (hahahahaha ... since I put it together and typed every word of it)However, if you want more experience with different types of aircraft, then the PMDG 737's are certainly the VERY VERY BEST of their type available. I have always loved the 737, and have flown on them many many times. The 737 is totally different than the 747-200 ... it is a modern generation aircraft with great automation ... the FMS is faithful to the REAL one installed in the NG's, and is a study of weeks and months to master (you think the CIVA INS is something, wait til you see this). Comparing the way the systems are implemented on the 737 vs the old "whale" 747-200 .. you get an immense appreciation for the benefits and wonders of automation and its impact on safety, east of use, etc.If you simply use the FS Flight Planner (which is not all that bad, despite what people say about it) and fly the 747-200 with the MSFS GPS, then you are missing a whole lot ... The PMDG software is for LOVERS of detailed simulations .. capital letters DETAILED and FAITHFUL representation of the real thing.And life wouldn't be complete without the new LDS (ex PIC) 767, Stellan's FREE DC-9 and the "almost cooked" LAGO MD-80 ... all the details you want .. IMHO ... not just for flying, but for immersing yourself in the experience.At 56yo I am still like a kid with these things.Take some time, read the manuals, learn the FMS ... you will come to love the 737 as much as you love the 747-200.Cheers Raymond!!!Paul BenoitKSAN

Brad,Were you playing around with the real thing or the sim? :(Cheers,

Guest Zapper

Doing the real thing .. "Passengers think we are lost and looking for somewhere to land" at YMML. I have to say that Aussie ATC is some of the worst I have ever encountered in terms of delays and holding.Still, I guess that is teh price of flying from one paradise to another :DRgds,

I use PMDG 737NG along with a couple of other programs: 1. FS2Crew 2. Vox ATC or . . . 3. Vatsim (when controllers are available)When you put the whole package together, it's an amazingexperience. Can't believe how much fun I'm having.Regards,Bruce Beattieslugger

>I use PMDG 737NG along with a couple of other programs:>> 1. FS2Crew>> 2. Vox ATC or . . . >> 3. Vatsim (when controllers are available)>>When you put the whole package together, it's an amazing>experience. Can't believe how much fun I'm having.>>>Regards,>>Bruce Beattie>sluggerI use 'FDC' with 'vox atc' and will do until they iron out all the bugs with 'SB3'.Right, should I do another quick lap of the old Nurburgring circuit with 'GT4' or go flying?Dave T.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Dear, dear, dear, forums are to help people I think?This is very simplified, but try printing out the flight plan you are developing in FS, then pressing "F" on the panel icons and following your nose on the "route" page.Pretty soon you'll have have programmed you route in and have that magenta line up on the Navigation Display (ND) on the panel. If you get airborne and engage AP, Lnav and Vnav you'll see what the thing can do!!And after that you can try and do it better and better!Everyone has to start somewhere!

ngxu_banner.png