Sign in to follow this  

how to swap panels

I just bought my first PC (i'm a mac user) for flight simming, and love 2002!! Question is: I purchased the PSS747, 777, and A320. How can I make planes I've downloaded use those panels? Also, is there a web site that explains how the FS2002 folder system is set up? As in where do the panels go, scenery go etc? Thank youL3

Guest Heather 636

At least you asked an easy one that I can answer for a change.Making an aircraft use the sound or panel of another is easy and is called aliasing.For example. Look through some of your aircraft panel folders.When you see one that has nothing in it but a single file called panel.cfg, then it is aliasing; basically telling the computer to use the panel of another aircraft.Open it up with Notepad.You will see something like this:[fltsim]alias=BEECH_KING_AIR_350panelIn this case, it is telling the computer to use the panel of the Beech King Air.You will see the same quite often for sounds.After all, why load up your hard drive with space-gobbling wave files if they're just repeats of the same sound files.Let's say one of the planes that you want to use has a folder name of "My Plane".You have a download that you want to use the panel from "My Plane"Just create a new panel folder for the dpownload with a panel.cfg file that looks as follows;[fltsim]alias=My PlanepanelSimple as that. It's showing the computer this path:C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002aircraftMy Planepanelthough you don't have to put all that preliminary stuff in there.All works the same for sounds too. have fun!!Heather

Heather has done an excellent job of showing you how to do this manually, however its even easier if you use Jab2000. This little utility allows you to alias panels and sound folders very easily, and you can even "switch off" temporarily planes you don't want to fly at the monment, which speeds up loading of new planes if you have lots !You can get it here:http://www.twinsburgh.com/pub/fs98/managers/

Guest Heather 636

Thanks for that lead Alistair, downloading it now.I currently have 118 aircraft in my "active" hangar, more than that in my "Mothballs" folder, and still more downloaded but not yet installed.I think this has turned into an obsession, no?Especially when I only fly one particular airplane 95% of the time.Ohhhh!! But they look so NICE!!!!Gotta have 'em!Cheers!Heather

Obsession ? No, more like totally adictive !I haven't counted how many planes I've got, what with all my Archer, DF737 and C421 repaints, liveries for Beavers, Otters and Twin Otters, R4D/DC-3s (at least 5) or planes installed just for AI purposes that I never actually fly (numerous default 737/747 repaints)Then there's all the scenery (knee-jerk reaction as my hand veers for the Download button every time I see the names Fica, Naji or Moser)I guess I'll never actually fly through the mountains of Alaska in a Cub, or visit Hawaii or the islands of the South Seas, but this is the next best thing !And the people ! You Know Who You Are ! Life is good !Cheers from Blighty !

Guest Heather 636

G'Day again!Alistair, I keep trying to download jab2000.zip but it keeps hanging on me part way through. Since it's not that big, would you be a dear and email it to me?I have to drive into town and do some errands so there will be nothing else loading up my lines.I'll email my addy to you.Thanks!Heather

thanks for the help. I'm going to try that now. The other question I have, and it might be more appropriate for the T Tools forum, but is it true that GMAX planes are better for AI? thanksl3

118? WOW! I only have about 35 not including the Project AI and default planes! So all in all I have 80 only!BTW gMax aircraft as AI will work properly, with moving flaps, landing gear etc. Other types might have missing landing gears, no moving parts etc. I suggest http://www.projectai.com to beef up your traffic.http://www.someplacesomewhere.com/uploaded.../coatransig.jpgGet All of My Repaints [a href=http://ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=lee&CatID=fs2002ac]HERE![/a]

Happy to ! If you can furnish me with an address (the site direct-mail service only seems to accommodate messages, not attachments) I'll let you have it.mailto:alastair.monk@tintechnology.com