Sign in to follow this  
larshgf

How to arrange a flight in FS2004

Hi everybody,I try to mix ActiveSky 2004 (weather), FSBuild (flightplanning), RadarControl (ATC) and PMDG 737NG (aircraft with FMC) to get a god flightsim-experience. In order to make a flightplan in FSBuild you have to know the weather at your destination airport to decide if you must plan an alternate arrival airport or not (1 hour before to 1 hour after ETA, Ceiling less than 2000 feet, Visibility less than 3 statute miles)In order to make a good fuel calculation you have to know if there must be an alternate arrival airplan or not.So the flightplanning in FSBuild and the weather for your decisions for the flightplan is interdependendt. Another issue here is that RadarControl can give you weatherdata for your destination airport. But most often you have already finnished your flightplanning when you place yourself in the cockpit.I wonder in which order you use these programs (or programs with the same function) in order to simulate real life aviation.??BRLars

In real life you always plan for an alternate airport. It does not matter whether you're a 747 captain or a private pilot in his Cub. Furthermore, the weather mimimums are not as simple as you stated. Each airport has descent and approach procedures with different minimums and these are also affected by nav equipment you have onboard. In some places you can lead with no visibility and no ceiling at all... Do a search for CAT III ILS approaches on this forum. I suggest always checking weather prior to flightplanning as winds and Wx conditions almost always affect which departure procedure you'll use to join your initial airway, which STAR to use to get to your destination and also the winds and temp aloft may affect your choice for cruise level.Hope it helps.Best regards,Victorhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

Thanks Victor,As I thought: weather before planning sound's the way a real pilot do the job. CheersLars

Guest frankathl

"As I thought: weather before planning sound's the way a real pilot do the job."Not quite, Lars, since you need to know your flight plan before you can check the departure/enroute/destination/alternate weather! You should plan your flight in FSBuild, obtain the wx from Active Sky by processing your flight plan through the weather engine, then make any changes that might be required to your plan and re-process(this, incidentally, is what the AS manual recommends). You may also need to alter your flight plan enroute if weather deteriorates.BR,Frank

Remember that the weather can always change between the time you make the plan and the time you get to fly it...Usually airlines will have canned flightplans ready for use sometimes years before a flight is flown (of course being updated as airways and waypoints are added or deleted).Weather data is requested maybe half an hour to an hour before departure and then periodically during the flight.How else will you get correct weather for your arrival airport? The weather you got at your departure point for the arrival point (if any was available) will be outdated by the time you get to the arrival airport unless it's so close to the departure that flying there would probably be uneconomical.

Hi Mats,Can you tell me a few words about FS Flight Dispatcher. Is this a "must" for a flightsimmer?? Where do I find the program??BRLars

Guest frankathl

Looks very interesting, Mats! Now, I'm really looking forward to the time your program sees the light of day(I'm currently struggling to emulate real world fuel planning. It's pretty complicated!).BR,Frank

Victor,I'm doing my best! ;-)Cheers, :-beerchug

Guest E.W.

HIThis is how I prepare for a flight.First I load AS2004 and get the current weather.I check the weather of my departing and arriving airport and find me an alternate with good weather to file as an alternate.I startup FsBuild2.First I make a flightplan from my destination to the alternate and check how much fuel I need for that. Put that in the alternate fuel box.Then I make a flightplan from departure to arriving airport.I always put my flightplan manuely in the FMC.hope it helps,Erik Wachters