Sign in to follow this  
windycloud

eyebrow windows on 737

Guest FattyBear

The windows were so that it'd be easier to traffic by having a better view above. Now that they have TCAS II and such there isn't much need for the windows anymore. I heard removing them can save weight, but I'm not sure if I believe that.

As far as I heard those windows were required by an old FAA rule. That's why they can be seen on almost all the older airframes from Boeing. This rule was lifted recently so there went the windows on the newly-builts. Do they look good? eh...I think we are just so used to them. Jason Zhang

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Guest canyonblue737

>As far as I heard those windows were required by an old FAA>rule. That's why they can be seen on almost all the older>airframes from Boeing. This rule was lifted recently so there>went the windows on the newly-builts. >>Do they look good? eh...I think we are just so used to them. >>>Jason Zhangall future 737's will come without the eyebrows. all of SWA's this year haven't had them and Boeing is coming out with a kit that can be purchased to close out the eyebrows on older 37's. to be honest we hardly use the eyebrows so it isn't a big deal, i heard it makes the cockit quieter and that *is* an improvement if true.

Guest NorthPilot

It also saves some maintenance work (hours) and thus costs.Have a nice flight!Aleksandar

Guest jbB737

>to be honest we hardly use the eyebrows so it isn't a big>deal, i heard it makes the cockit quieter and that *is* an>improvement if true.Yep, I'll second that. I virtually never look out the eyebrow windows. Usually the only time I pay them any attention is when I'm stuffing a briefing card up there to block the sun coming in...JohnB737 FO

>The windows were so that it'd be easier to traffic by having>a better view above. Now that they have TCAS II and such>there isn't much need for the windows anymore. I heard>removing them can save weight, but I'm not sure if I believe>that. As far as weight savings are concerned, there are the 4 windows that weigh about 10 lbs ea. and their associated window heat wiring. Taking into account the replacement cover plates, the weight savings should be in the range of 25-30 lbs.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Guest TrafficTraffic

Just think how much weight they could save if they got rid of all the cockpit windows! ;)Lee Hetherington, PP-ASEL (KBED)

Guest stingray_077

Hi all...From what I have read,the no-eyebrow design has been implemented for the two reasons stated previously-less maintenance time and the implementation of new TCAS technology,rendering them quite obsolete...I liked it with the eyebrows better though.... :)_______________________________Georgios Arkouzis http://www.ivao.org/data/images/flags/waving/small/GR.gif SX077http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg_______________________________