Sign in to follow this  
Guest mitchdawg22

Using dual monitors with 737 NG

Guest mitchdawg22

I have two monitors, and i discovered that 737 ng has the ability to have ht overhead panel on full time on the second monitor. My question is how do you move it there. I click the o on the MCP, and it just sits on my first monitory covering the main panel.any thoughts?thanks so muchGrant

Grant,See to that you are in windowed mode. Right click on the O/H choose undock panel and move it. This can be repeated for all panels you want to move. I usually have the O/H, Throttle, and both CDUs on my second monitor.Once you've moved eveything into place you can go to full screen mode again. But I've noticed that MSFS with my card and drivers is a bit twitchy in full screen mode so I usually run in windowed mode.Hope it helps,

Guest tmetzinger

>Grant,>>See to that you are in windowed mode. Right click on the O/H>choose undock panel and move it. This can be repeated for all>panels you want to move. I usually have the O/H, Throttle, and>both CDUs on my second monitor.>>Once you've moved eveything into place you can go to full>screen mode again. But I've noticed that MSFS with my card and>drivers is a bit twitchy in full screen mode so I usually run>in windowed mode.>>Hope it helps,I also run in windowed mode and use this set up often - with the CDU, and throttles on the second monitor (when I get a third I'll put the OH up there).One trick is to save a situation when you're done - most of the time it will keep your undocked panel locations and resizings.

Guest mc.kar

I have discovered a different way to do it that doesnt involve switching between fullscreen and windowed mode. I prefer this bacause the shift back to FScr mode usually involves a reset of the FS display (changing resolution and changing it back again - apparently a glitch - Pete Dowson has described in the the docs for FSUIPC) and many times even a CTD.Firt of all you have to prepare the system. Make sure that you have set up an expanded desktop that covers both monitors (pls. ask if you are unsure how to do this).Start up FS9 - you will notice that the seconday monitor (secmon)goes black instead of showing the desktop. You can now drag an instrument window to the edge of the primary monitor (primon on the side where the secmon is virtually attached to the expanded. Make sure that more than 50% of the "square" of the window is outside of the view of the primon. Now close the window in question. When you reopen it you will notice it has now moved to the same relative position on the secmon. Fine tune from there. You have now within FS9 activated the secmon as a part of your "FSdesktop" and you can now mouse all over the monitors as if it was one desktop.No need to run in windowed mode or to swtich between windowed and Fullscreen mode causing unstablility.This techinque works on my setup (ATI 9800PRO-256). I hope that it will work on others too. Be aware that when you enter the FS9 options menu and select to adjust the display parameters (cant remember the excact path - I'm at work now...hence no FS9 installation at hand)you now have two display adapters that you can adjust individually. Some of the attributes on the sec. display adapter does not not apply however. Especially the 3D settings at least on my system runs uniformly on both monitors using the settings on from the primary display adapter. The system does not respond to changing settings on the sec. display adapter. Try and tinker with this to get a good balance between performance and quality.Last but not least...enjoy.Best regardsMichael Christiansen, Karup - Denmark

Guest Boone

This is great information. Do you think it is possible to place the forward left and forward right views in two monitors either side of the main monitor?]Best RegardsBoone,BooneEIDW@hotmail.com"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Guest rnj slinger

I use this setup also, only one problem, when the throttle quadrant is on sec.monitor and i switch to overhead om primary monitor, the throttle quadrant is gone....any solution for this, i don't think so, i already searched the forums.Rickkl027

Guest mc.kar

The short answer would be yes.However...(These dreaded howevers are always present) you will most likely incur a serious degradation in your displayspeed.I have a PIV@3600 Mhz (1Gb ram) with an ATI9800pro-256. I run FS9 @ 1240*960*32bitcolor. If I open another 3d (outside) window on the secondary monitor AFAIR I reduce FPS by a factor 3. Since I normaly have around 18-20 FPS(locked@20FPS)this drop is not tolerable for me.But no harm in trying. I would look for another (lowend) PC and connect it to the primary computer via LAN and then use wideview. You can select another display resulotion on the other computer and everything and you will not experience any noticable FPS loss on the primary computer. Even a lowend computer will do it when only using wideview since it executes FS9 in slewmode slaved to the primary computer and apparently slewmode doesnt require any significant "muscle" to run compared to normal mode.I have a wideview setup this way and it works beautifully. I display the 4 sideviews on a secondary monitor and even when it tells me that I have only 4-5 FPS it still runs totally fluentlyHave funMichael

Guest mc.kar

>I use this setup also, only one problem, when the throttle>quadrant is on sec.monitor and i switch to overhead om primary>monitor, the throttle quadrant is gone....>>any solution for this, i don't think so, i already searched>the forums.>>Rick>>kl027>Hi RickI'm not sure I understand. On my setup I can still see whats on the secondary monitor irrespective of what I call up on the primary. Mayby you should try and tinker with the "use OH on secondary monitor" and see what that will get you????Just a suggestion.If this doesnt help try and specify the problem i little deeper...I will try to replicate here.Beste regardsMichael

Guest rnj slinger

i have fs9 in windowed mode, i undock the fmc/thquadrant and place them on secondary monitor, everything is fine, but when i switch to overhead on primary monitor my thquadrant is gone, when i press the T of mzalfotrc the quadrant is back at the secondary monitorin the pmdg options when i select or deselect allow undockable overhead , still the throttle quadrant is gone when i switch to overheadi have a ati radeon 9800 pro 256mbrick

>This is great information. Do you think it is possible to>place the forward left and forward right views in two monitors>either side of the main monitor?]>>Best Regards>Boone,>BooneEIDW@hotmail.com>>"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's>just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Rob Sciarrino

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Guest Balrog

I have the same problem as Rick re the throttle closes in the secondary monitor when opening the overhead in the primary monitor. This happens 100% of the time. I asked a friend of mine who also uses two monitors, and he confirms that the same is happening to him all the time.Pressing T with the overhead open will reopen throttle on the second monitor, it will stay there when going back to main view (M), but next time I open the overhead the throttle closes again.Rgds,Kjell

Guest tmetzinger

>I have the same problem as Rick re the throttle closes in the>secondary monitor when opening the overhead in the primary>monitor. This happens 100% of the time. I asked a friend of>mine who also uses two monitors, and he confirms that the same>is happening to him all the time.>>Pressing T with the overhead open will reopen throttle on the>second monitor, it will stay there when going back to main>view (M), but next time I open the overhead the throttle>closes again.>>Rgds,>KjellPart of the logic in the overhead panel causes it to close the throttle panel when it's activated.The only way to change this behavior is to keep the overhead panel up on a second monitor ALL THE TIME, and to check the "undock overhead panel -multimonitor users" in the PMDG Styles/Various.That allows you to have the overhead panel in a window and not have it alter other panels.