Sign in to follow this  

Need serious help with FS2002 after Upgrade

Hi all!I went from a AMD 800 under Windows 98 to an Athlon XP 2000+ and Windows 2K Pro, but now FS2002 gives me headaches. Two main problems:Problem 1) Using a Leadtek Geforce 4 Ti4400 (which worked fine in the old maschine) I can not see any Menus, Clipboard or right-Click menu anymore when running FS2002 in full screen mode. That means the grey menu bar on top, the rightclick-mouse menu, and even the dialog when hitting "esc" key dont show. My game stops if I activate them, but I can not see them. When I switch to windowed mode they are there. Also, I can not longer see the GPS in Captain Sim's Mig-21 as long as I run in Full Screen Mode.This seems to be a Problem with Direct Draw. I tried both the new XP Detonator Drivers from Nvidia, and Leadtek's own drivers that shipped with the card. I tried upgrading from DirectX 8.0 to DirectX 8.1 or 8.1b ...both give me terrible graphic dissortions and all kinds of display errors. So 8.1 doesn't seem to be an option now.Does anyone know a good solid Driver/DirectX Combination that will fully support the Leadtek Card in Windows 2000?Problem 2) This is no big deal, but still annoying...when I use the L-39 addon from Captain sim, I can not longer hear the Turbo Spoiling up during engine startup. For those of you that have this addon, you will know it's a very unique, powerfull sound, and I do miss it. This might be related to me switching to an Onboard Soundcard, since the old wouldn't work anymore with Win2K.To summarize my system specs:AMD XP2000+ under Windows 2000 ProGigabyte GA-7DX+ Mobo512 MB DDR RamLeadtek GF4 Ti4400 /128 MB Ram with XP DetonatorsDirectX 8.0aOnboard Sound Via ACL 97Any help greatly appreciated.

Guest gasebah

Hi Colonel,first try to disable FSAA and check if you have the menus in full screen mode then. We wil take it frm there.Chances are your Nvidia registry entries are messed up.Alex

Ah! I've been meaning to do this, but somehow forgot it during the heap of other Hardware Problems I had recently ;)I'm at work right now, 7 hours to go until I can check FS2002, but I got this thread bookmarked, and if you'r still around later I'd greatly appreciate your help. Thnxs so farRS

Guest gasebah

RS,do not worry I am at work too right know. Another 4-5 hours. I will be here later during flights :-). C u.Alex

>Do you have any other graphics problems? Or is it only >related to MSFS? Before upgrading to the new Rig, with my AMD 800 and the Geforce 4 card, I had lockups in Ghost Recon main screen the minute I started it. And display problems in the Rouge Spear menu screen.All of these use some kind of 2d-menu, which led me to the thought that Direct Draw might be bugged. But today my card passes all DX Direct Draw Tests, even fullscreen.Other than that, IL-2 and Flashpoint are running very well and no graphical problems whatoever.Alex, looking forward to more problem-solving this evening :)

Okay, I'm starting to be a little ###### now. Since I killed my system today, accidently (and that after it took me two days to install it on weekend) I figured I could as well reformat and reinstall everthing. The Nvidia Drivers came straight on this time.Still the same problem.You are right. If I disable FSAA, everthing works normal, if I enable it (either trough the Desktop Menu or directly in FS2002) it will cause the problems.The Direct Draw Tests with DX 7.0 looked a lot better than the one's with 8.0.Last time I went to 8.1 it was a hellish experience. So, all in all, I guess it got to be some combination of DX or Drivers. Still using the standard Detonators at the moment.Should I switch back to older ones?

A little bumb for Alex...I know the 3dGuru Site, thanxs, but it's so overloaded with info I didn't find anything. My main problem is there are not many different drivers out there to try, and I can only stay with DX8.0 since DX8.1 will cause all kinds of funny problems.

If I were you i'd try the 28.32 drivers for guru3d.com. They seem very stable and are Microsoft certified as well. If you had a GF3 i's say something else but since you are a GF4 guy definately try the 28.32s!Hope this helps you out :)Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Do these Drivers support the new features of the Gf4 :(I'm not very knowledgabe in the Driver Race, but I thought that the XP Detonators were the first to cater for the GF4.thnxs for the hint!

Well, if anyone is still following my torture ;)The new Drivers installed without a problem, but did not solve a thing.The last thing to try is a newer DX Version, but I'm not sure if that will work correctly. Last time it didn't.Might I have a faulty card? But then I suppose I would see more errors, no?

Load the latest service pack for Windows 2000.... Someone had a similar issue several months back, and the SP update fixed it--it might in your case as well....-John

You are the second guy suggesting the Service Pack today. Stupid me didn't think about that.Thanks! To know that someone else had a similar problem solved is encouraging.

Guest gasebah

Hi Col,I would have gotten in contact with you that evening but you have not been here.I had exactly the same prob and I thought that is was triggered by using NVMax with one of the newer driver ( which are not supported by VMax anymore). I tried several driver reinstalls, even deleted all the NVMax and Nvidia entries manually frm the registry. Nothing helped.Here is how I finally got rid of the problem :This is just a step by step description of what I did, I have not decent technical explanation as to why this and exactly what solved the problem.1. I uninstalled all graphic tweakers. (Especially NVmax)2. I uninstalled the drivers (29.60)3. I installed the Omega drivers. (http://www.omegacorner.com/main.htm)4. I uninstalled the Omega drivers.5. I installed the 30.30 Nvidia drivers.I have not yet checked if it is simply the 30.30 drivers that finally solved the prob or any other stuff. I did not reinstall any other drivers cuz I was happy that I got rid of the problem. Maybe meanwhile I dwnloaded the service back and was not aware that this solved the problem.Now I can enable FSAA either with GTU tweaker, or frm the drivers menu, or directly frm FS2002 and have never experienced the problem again.Hope that probably helps,Alex