Sign in to follow this  
slip-stream

UK TV program Faking It

In the UK we have a very popular TV series named 'Faking It'. QUOTE..[Faking It is a transformational battle against the odds. Our faker is plucked from their natural habitat and given four weeks to master a skill well enough to fool a group of expert judges.] Past challenges have included...Chef, Showjumper, TV Director, Surfer, Veh Mechanic, Orchestra Conductor.Do you think that a person with little or no knowledge of piloting history could pick up the neccessary skills in order to fake a test flight in a 737ng Simulator after just 4 weeks full time training with professional Pilots?Now I am lead to believe that upon a succsessful interview with an Airline, a check-flight is carried out in the Simulator. This is where the Faking It bit is carried out.I have emailed the show with the idea and am waiting for a reply.What do you guys think?

Keith Sandford.

Guest BAW843

Keith,I live in the UK and have watched 'Faking It'.Personally I dont think it would be possible, why do you think it takes 6 months plus to train for your commercial / instrument ratings, yeah you may be able to fly the plane in the sim, but what about your technical knowledge on the aircraft systems and general aviation?I think the pilots who conduct the checkflight would 'worm' you out straight away ... sorryGood luck though if it ever happens!CheersPHIL

Yes I agree with what you say but thats the whole point of this program. Does it take 4 weeks normally to conduct an orchestra? No. Well he actually passed. Every challenge normally takes years to develop but most have faked it quite well. I agree though it would have to be someone with a huge brain and memory. NOT ME.

Keith Sandford.

Guest Zapper

Hi Gents,Not in the usual line of threads I post in but i think ti could be done pretty easily. I would love to take on teh challenge of training someone with just PMDG and some time chatting and see if we could get them through a sim test.Thinking about it,

I agree with you Brad and I think the PMDG 737 would be ideal for initial training, and I know there are plenty of experts on this forum up to the job, including yourself, of course.

Keith Sandford.

Brad-I'm with you. I think we could pull it off....I think we could train my dogs to do our jobs in terms of control inputs to manage the airplane- given enough sim time and effort on the part of the subject. The tough part would be learning the regulations and rules well enough to pass an interview board.As a Chief Pilot- i conducted my share of interviews- so if we teamed up- we'd be able to get the right subject by that interview too.... ;-)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

I'm faking it right now flying the default Boeing 747 and pretending it's the PMDG. :(:-lol Just kidding, those default Boeings are garbage! I actually loaded the 737 the other night, a first since FS2002, and holy crap! It's flies like a lead weight!

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest Knikolaes

Yeah -- I wish like crazy there was some way to edit in your own AC to substitute in the flying lessons.Someone listed that it was possible to do so, but I have to beg to differ. I tried using the Cessna 172 from Flight1 to replace the default 172. Well . . . It works GREAT with your lessons with Rod . . . but for some crazy solidified reason, when you go to the check ride, a custom AC loses the VC and also has the 2D panel REALLY messed up (guages moved around, panel resized and distorted, etc.).So I have to revert to using the default AC to do the lessons and when I do my own practice I use my own custom AC.Now unless someone has a fix for this . . . I still wish I could throw the NG in place of the ATP lessons.Now . . . . . In relation to this thread . . .. I have seen some crazy stuff. Human psychology is one of an art -- I believe anything can be faked.Heh . . . .now if only I could fake FS into thinking the AC I WANT to take lessons in were right for the job . . . . .<> Ta currectulate sum spellingie errers.