Sign in to follow this  
slip-stream

Deploying thrust reversers

Guest Erups

>And for the curious: If you are making a maximum effort stop>then the use of REV affects the Landing distance very little>indeed - why would that be?Autobrake is a dynamic system: it modulates the brakes in order to achieve a certain performance.If you put in something not controlled by the system which is actually helping the system, it has no way of knowing and simply reduces the brakes applied to maintain the global brakeing action.But this leads me to a question: is it possible that there really is no way of applying max brakes and max rev together?

Guest metalman

>But this leads me to a question: is it possible that there>really is no way of applying max brakes and max rev together?Could be wrong here but I would imagine that applying max manual braking (Ie really stepping on the stoppers) and max reverse thrust would be the only way. Not forgeting that the ANTI SKID will kick in to ensure that you do not excede the braking performance of the aircraft. Just having a stab in the dark!!!Hope it helps,Tim Venz

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Very interesting thread ! I usually hit the deck (hopefully gently) hit F1 to ensure the throttles are at idle, then hit F2 which gives me lots of stopping power. I've not really looked at the gauges at this moment but presumably, the engines N1 is pretty high judging by the noise it makes, so how do you select just reverse idle please if you are using the keyboard ?

Guest Erups

>how do you select just reverse idle please if you are using>the keyboard ?Instead of keeping pressed F2, hit it just a few times and you will see that the engines go to REV but stay low on rpm.

Guest Zapper

Hi Chaps,Pretty close. What it really means: In a max effort stop you decelerate through the speeds at which REV is really effective (above about 80 - 100kts) very quickly and so it has little chance of having a huge effect on the stopping distance.. which is what is reflected in teh QRH performance charts.Always good to have things that make you think don't you find :DAll the Best,